Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mametz Wood

Petroc

Hi all,

I'm going back over to the Somme in a few days and plan to make my first (belated) visit to the 38th Welsh Division memorial at Mametz Wood....is there any public access to the wood itself?

I don't mean to trample around the wood blindly, it would be disresepctful and probably highly dangerous, but just to get a sense of the atmosphere of the place

Andy

Hi all,

I'm going back over to the Somme in a few days and plan to make my first (belated) visit to the 38th Welsh Division memorial at Mametz Wood....is there any public access to the wood itself?

I don't mean to trample around the wood blindly, it would be disresepctful and probably highly dangerous, but just to get a sense of the atmosphere of the place

Andy

Hi Andy,

you can visit the grave of Harry Fellows in the wood. Enter from the Longueval/ Bazentin road on the Longueval side. Follow track. Grave is on the right.

Regards

John

John,

Harrys memorial is one I have yet to find. Is it on the main track you mention of the road?

Will visit next week. And thanks for invite by the way!

Regards

TT

TT. as you approach the corner of Mametz Wood from Longueval, turn left down the first track. Continue on the track into the wood until you reach a small clearing on the right where there is a headstone similar to those of CWGC.

I'm in UK next week, (from 15th) how long are you here?

Regards & Happy Trotting.

John

21st thro to 28th incl.

Regards

TT

PS thanks for info.

There are two or three threads on Mametz. Type in search and read them.

21st thro to 28th incl.

Regards

TT

PS thanks for info.

TT

Were back on 25/26th for 4 weeks. Invite stands.

Regards

John

Regards

I would not go anywhere near the Wood at weekends as it is used for hunting.

I went there last year and there are numerous unexploded shells and bits of shrapnel on the surface of the ground. In other words what is there is either dangerous or hardly worth touching. Any trenches in the woods now just seem to be shallow dips in the ground and they may even be later ditches. When I was there, the Welsh memorial was inaccessible due to farming equipment blocking the approach road. If the farmer is active this can occur at any time.

Gunner Bailey

I would not go anywhere near the Wood at weekends as it is used for hunting.

I went there last year and there are numerous unexploded shells and bits of shrapnel on the surface of the ground. In other words what is there is either dangerous or hardly worth touching. Any trenches in the woods now just seem to be shallow dips in the ground and they may even be later ditches. When I was there, the Welsh memorial was inaccessible due to farming equipment blocking the approach road. If the farmer is active this can occur at any time.

Gunner Bailey

That's b******d that trip then :angry2: .

Good advice ref hunters (when in season) & sensible ref shells etc. Don't mess with them.

Regards

John

TT

Were back on 25/26th for 4 weeks. Invite stands.

Regards

John

Regards

Blast! Im in Longueval 21st-23rd

Tom