Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Red Circle cloth badge?

simonpg

Hi,

Help needed please to identify a cloth badge, gray background with a red circle.

Soldier was in the 1/25th London Bn in India & Mesopotamia.

Thanks

Simon

post-34825-1237011720.jpg

Hi Simon, yes it is the 1st/25th London, red ring on light blue square. JG

Hi John,

I am a little confused. Is the red circle badge specific to the 1/25th London, and its purpose? It's just that I have the 25th London badge as attached.

Your help appreciated.

regards

Simon

post-34825-1237086853.jpg

John

Have you the Battle Patch for the 1/18th London Regiment (London Irish Rifles) as I would like to find one.

John

John

Have you the Battle Patch for the 1/18th London Regiment (London Irish Rifles) as I would like to find one.

John

John, the 1/18 London wore a dark green diamond in felt. See D518 on print out.

post-20062-1237129288.jpg

Hi John,

Thanks for identifying the badge. Can you tell me please what exactly is a battle badge and in what circumstances they were issued, where were they worn etc. Or perhaps point me to a web site which explains them.

My paternal grandfather was in the 2/17th London, and all we have are his 2 medals. Are you able to help me with his badges? He was taken as a POW by the Turks in Palestine on 2 May 1918, just north of the Dead Sea.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

regards

Simon

Simon,

When war broke out the only insignia worn on uniforms was shoulder titles and cap badges. Divisional symbols / insignia existed after the first few months and were painted on vehicles / buildings etc. As the war progressed to thwart enemy intelligence and to make units more identifiable battalion badges / patches were introduced and took the form of symbols / geometric designs images etc.

By the end of the war units could be seen with patches unique to their battalion, brigade patches and Div patches. Worn on uniforms ( upper sleeves, back of tunics below collar and on helmets).

If you study photos in depth they start to appear before your eyes.

Not every unit had them and not all have been recorded. There are still unknowns out there.

Cap badges and shoulder titles were never disgarded though.

For raids these metal titles badges were removed and the cloth patches would ID a soldier to a friend but not the enemy.

Hope this helps. There is a basic Osprey book on the subject.

Thanks trenchtrotter, most informative and very helpful. The Osprey book is out of stock on their website, but I have found that the State library in Adelaide has a copy so I will go and have a look at it.

Thanks again.

Simon