The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Ernest Rogers, Sherwood Foresters / Machine Gun Corps

Miniliz

Last week I posted about my Grandad in the Sherwood Foresters Enlistment Date thread.

I was very kindly offered a lot of information and help following my posts there (thanks Mike Briggs!). So I thought I'd post the new information in the Soldiers section rather than clogging up the SF thread - I hope you find it interesting!

Today I received a letter from the Machine Gun Corps OCA and they have provided me with so much information - I will of course be writing to thank them but I thought I would post here what I've found out.

Enlistment date still unknown.

Enlisted with 7th (Terratorial, Robin Hoods) Btn of Sherwood Foresters.

Sent to France 27th Oct 1915.

He was involved in the Battle of the Somme on 1st July 1916.

Between 15-22 December 1916 was compulsorily transferred to the Machine Gun Corps, one of 22 men of the 5th, 6th and 7th Sherwood Foresters (Mike, you were right! :D ). He was posted to 139 company, 46th Division.

Discharged on 28th Feb 1919 as he was injured in battle.

He was awarded the 1914-15 Star and British War and Victory Medals.

He may also have received a Certificate of Service issued by Maj General WO Kellett, MGC - Dad hadn't heard of this certificate, although he has his Dad's medals. Has anyone else seen one of these?

The OCA letter also recommends some reading - 'First Day on the Somme' by Martin Middlebrook. It also recommends reading the war diaries at Kew WO95/2695 (139 Company) and WO95/2679 (46Bn). Have any of you read them?

We are also asking an archivist to see what else can be found out - we can now speculate which battles he was at but we'd like to know the enlistment date and Dad would like to know where he was when he was finally injured - his elbow was shattered by a bullet.

All in all though, from knowing very little only a month ago, to knowing the above - Dad and I are very excited! B)

Thanks once again to the help I've received on here! :D

The OCA letter also recommends some reading - 'First Day on the Somme' by Martin Middlebrook. It also recommends reading the war diaries at Kew WO95/2695 (139 Company) and WO95/2679 (46Bn). Have any of you read them?

Liz

Glad you are piecing it all together B)

I have all the War Diaries for 139 Bde MGC 1916-18 (WO/95/2695) and can easily send them to you; saves a bit of £

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for that offer, that is amazing - I would love to read them! :D

Please let me make a donation either direct to you or to charity as a thank you :D

Liz, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them to you. They are .PDF files, 26 in total running to about 26Mb so I'll send them in a few batches B)

cheers

Mike

p.s. I learnt something too B) that those men were posted to the 139 MGC, which I didn't know ;)

And now that I've looked the War diary states that 32 men were transfered on 19th December 1916

Today I received a letter from the Machine Gun Corps OCA and they have provided me with so much information - I will of course be writing to thank them but I thought I would post here what I've found out.

Enlistment date still unknown.

Hi,

According to the Silver War Badge Roll his enlistment date was 1st February 1915. He was awarded Silver War Badge number 519470 and he was 29 years and 9 months of age when he was discharged due to sickness on 25th February 1919

Steve

Steve that's amazing, thank you!

This forum is fantastic! biggrin.gif

Mike, my email address is *** - I'll edit it out as I've heard from you, as it won't let me send you a message.

right then, I'll get them sent to you ASAP