Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Frank Charles Stinton

eskimo

Pals,

I visited Worcester history center today to find some info on some of my relatives.

Came up with a fitting tribute for my 2nd cousin from a Chaplain working on the western front.

Lying dangerously ill from wounds received on Dec 22nd 1917 a letter to his wife received from the Chaplain dated Dec 24th states:-

"I was with him until the ambulance came to take him to hospital, and I never came across a braver man. He was simply splendid, positively heroic, and though he was far worse than most of the cases, he spent the hours cheering up other people with very little thought of himself."

Frank died of his wounds the following day leaving a wife and 2 little girls. He went through the East African campaign with the 25th brigade (Driscoll's scouts) until May 1917 invalided home with fever and sent to France in June 1917 with the 24th brigade Royal Fusilers.

eskimo.

post-3254-1236971620.jpg

Great find & a wonderful tribute

Andy

Great find & a wonderful tribute

Andy

Thanks Andy,

The Berrows pictorial book for 1914-1918 has pictures of nearly everyone in the Worcester area who died in the great war, well worth a visit for anyone researching Worcester men. And at 10p a scan well worth the money, and free to go into the family center.

eskimo.