Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Welsh Regiment

Chris_Baker

If anyone has the war diary for the 2nd Welsh, I'd be grateful to know exactly where they were and what they were doing on 22 September 1915. Somewhere near Chocques, I'll wager.

This must be a first. The forum has no knowledge of the activities of a unit on the Western Front. I think I'll retire.

Hi Chris; just back online.

The 2nd is not my speciality and the Welsh Regiment history doesn't mention the 2nd Bn on the 22 Sept 1915.

If it helps the Bn was described as leaving Philosophe at 3.30 am on 25 Sept. It marched to some old French trenches in front of Vermelles. By 11am it was advancing towards Le Rutoire Farm. My scanner and study desk are currently dismantled (to squeeze in the grand kids) but I'll be up and running mid week. I could scan the pages of the WR history (Whitehorne and Marden) for the 25 Sept+ if it helps.

Bernard

Thanks very much, Bernard. My faith is restored. But no need to scan anything: it's the 22nd I am specifically interested in. Looks like I'll have to get the war diary out when I am next at Kew.

I've just come across a copy of the October 1914 War Diary that I have- that's all I have on the 2nd Welsh I'm afraid, but if you want it I can scan it to e-mail- it's only a couple of months from what you need Chris!

SteveJ.