Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Southampton, England

DDP1955

I have just acquired a reproduction postcard of a 1920 image of the White Star Docks in Southampton. I dont know where the White Star Dock is or was, but in the image you can see train lines to the side of the berth. I'm assuming this must be somewhere near the QE2 terminal. Could somebody tell me if the White Star Docks would be anywhere near the Docks used in WW1 please? Am I right in thinking it was the Empress Docks which were used during WW1

Dianne,

I may be feeding you duff info here but my Son is at Solent Uni and his Halls of Residence are situated close to the Ocean Village Marina, whilst strolling around there a while ago I noticed that there was a plaque on the wall (next to the Whetherspoons Pub) with reference to the White Star Line, there are also some railway lines across the road and the Halls of Residence there use the old railway sheds/buildings as car parks!

Don't know if this is the location of the White Star Docks?

Good luck,

Regards,

Scottie.

DD

The Western Docks weren't there in WW1,they were built between the Wars.

The White Star ships would use any of several berths in the now Eastern Docks (then it was the only Docks,so no directional appendage). In those days the port was crammed with not only a dozen or two liners at a time,but loads of cargo boats. They might use the berths on the River Itchen Quays(east side) or the prestige ships of White Star etc would use Ocean Terminal and theTest Quays berths towards Dock Head (yes,the QE2 Terminal area too).There were railway lines connected to most berths,as this is also how a lot of cargo would be shifted too.

Empress Docks were used too.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted confirmation as I'm not greatly familiar with the docks

Dianne