Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal help please

niimmm

Hello I bought a pair of medals very cheap off my local market yesterday can anyone please tell me what battalion this chap was, as I think and hope he might have been a Barnsley Pal.

Medals read 1210 E WHEATER Y & L R.

Many thanks,

Nim.

His second service number, that with the Scottish Rifles, is a Territorial number from the block allocated to the 6th Battalion. I'll stick my neck out a bit and suggest the first one, his Y&L number, is also a Territorial number (4th or 5th battalion?) and that he wasn't a Barnsley Pal which were Service Battalions.

As PAPMPT suggests the Medal Rolls should hopefully tell you which battalions he was with.

Regards

Steve

His second service number, that with the Scottish Rifles, is a Territorial number from the block allocated to the 6th Battalion. I'll stick my neck out a bit and suggest the first one, his Y&L number, is also a Territorial number (4th or 5th battalion?) and that he wasn't a Barnsley Pal which were Service Battalions.

As PAPMPT suggests the Medal Rolls should hopefully tell you which battalions he was with.

Regards

Steve

If he had been a Territorial would he not also have got a star?

Nim.

If he had been a Territorial would he not also have got a star?

Only if he went out with the First Line battalions before 1916. If he went with the Second Line battalions then he would only have earned the pair (as recorded).

Steve

edit: Chris types faster!!

Regards

Steve

Hello again, so am i right in thinking that with the information we can obtain there is no way to identify his battalion. But by looking at the numbers you suggest that he may have been a Territoral and not a Pal?

Nim.

Hello again, so am i right in thinking that with the information we can obtain there is no way to identify his battalion.

You can obtain the medal roll at Kew.

You can obtain the medal roll at Kew.

Nim

The reference on the Card I posted needs to be translated into a WO329/xxxx reference number at the NA, Kew. This will enable you to view the Medal Roll which should hopefully tell you the battalions he was with whilst overseas. Unfortunately this has to be done at Kew, it's not available online.

The alternative is to see if his service record survives, he's not on Ancestry's 'pension' records and they haven't got upto the letter W yet in their 'service' records so again it's a trip to Kew if you want to see if they're available.

Regards

Steve

The number 1210 with the Y&L would suggest a pre 1914 enlistee,circa 1910~12;as would the fact he didnt obviously embark until 1916,& didnt qualify for the TFWM,would suggest he was not one of those who volunteered for Overseas service in 1914,he may well have been slightly older than the norm??