Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another One in from the Cold - 4

Terry Denham

This morning I was informed by CWGC that the following man has been accepted for commemoration by the MoD. His name will appear on a CWGC memorial to the missing shortly - probably the Arras Memorial - and he will be added to the database.

Pte Sykes DOBSON 31905 2/6 Bn, North Staffs Regt

Died whilst a PoW between 25.03.18 and 25.06.18

Burial place unknown

This formerly non-commemorated man was discovered by a fellow researcher and I then put the case together for CWGC/MoD's consideration.

To give an idea of time scales involved, I sent the details to CWGC on 15.02.04 and received a positive answer today. The evidence supplied was his surviving military records, his death certificate and a newspaper report of his demise published much later (supporting evidence only as newspaper reports do not carry much weight). The short timescale shows that it was a fairly open and shut case!

Remembered at Last

it's always good to see that the men are properly commemorated, to us it just seems important in & of itself, but really so if a relative looks for the person.

Terry...............Congratulations indeed..........Raising a glass to you, your fellow researcher & of course to Private Dobson tonight