Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Battalion Manchester Regiment

ddavemanc

Hello Everyone

This is my first time on the forum, so hope i am on the right section?

I am trying to find out more information on the where abouts of the 17th bat Manchester Regiment on the 18th June 1917? Where they in a battle at the time?

I'm researching a private who served with the manchesters and died of wounds on the 18th june.

Any information would be greatly apreceated

Many thanks

Dave

Welcome to the Forum, Dave.

The battalion was actually having a nice quiet time of it and the war diary isn’t much help noting only three minor casualties as below . They were around Zillebeke. Here’s the diary entry:

“13/14 June – On the night of 13/14 June at 1am, a raiding party consisting of 2nd Lt. Knowles and 53 ORs entered enemy lines and took 2 prisoners – our casualties 3 OR slightly wounded.

14/15 June – The battalion relived by 18th Bn Manchester Regiment and 1st Battalion Worcester Regiment. “B” Company moving back to Zillebeke Bund, Battalion HQ, “A”, “C” & “D” to Chateau Segard.

15 June to 20 June – “B” Coy at Zillebeke Bund formed a working party under the supervision of No. 2 Canadian Tunnelling Company. The Batt. Less “B” Coy resting, refitting and training (as far as was possible in the forward area) by sections.”

Nothing obvious that helps, I’m afraid. Presumably, the “slight” wounds recorded in the diary were not so slight. I take it your man died close to this location and not miles away at a General Hospital which might suggest a much earlier incident.

John

Welcome to the Forum, Dave.

The battalion was actually having a nice quiet time of it and the war diary isn't much help noting only three minor casualties as below . They were around Zillebeke. Here's the diary entry:

"13/14 June – On the night of 13/14 June at 1am, a raiding party consisting of 2nd Lt. Knowles and 53 ORs entered enemy lines and took 2 prisoners – our casualties 3 OR slightly wounded.

14/15 June – The battalion relived by 18th Bn Manchester Regiment and 1st Battalion Worcester Regiment. "B" Company moving back to Zillebeke Bund, Battalion HQ, "A", "C" & "D" to Chateau Segard.

15 June to 20 June – "B" Coy at Zillebeke Bund formed a working party under the supervision of No. 2 Canadian Tunnelling Company. The Batt. Less "B" Coy resting, refitting and training (as far as was possible in the forward area) by sections."

Nothing obvious that helps, I'm afraid. Presumably, the "slight" wounds recorded in the diary were not so slight. I take it your man died close to this location and not miles away at a General Hospital which might suggest a much earlier incident.

John

Thanks for the quick reply John

I dont know where he is buried but aparently his name is on the menin gate memorial? The medal i have came with a print out with the battalion No. Could this be wrong?

Is this close to the area you mentioned? Zillebeke bund?

Dave

Please post his name and number. It will help the unravelling.

Menin Gate records those lost in battle in the Ypres area who have no known grave. We might need to be sure about this by looking on the War Graves site (www.cwgc.org) to see what it says about him. If he died of wounds it would often be the case that he was buried in a cemetery near to the medical facilities such as Casualty Clearing Station. It is also possible that he was buried nearer the Front and his grave lost in the upheaval of subsequent battles.

Sotonmate

he was pte 33305 herbert,george smalley

native of nuneaton

resided in ashton under lyne

he was 19ys old

mack

Dave

Here the entry on the CWGC site:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=917108

The 17 MR were involved in the Arras Offensive in early 1917. The last battle before the 18 June is shown as the second Battle of the Scarpe 23/24 April,where they were part of 90 Brigade of 30 Division. The Battle of Messines fits the date better but this formation was not in the Order of Battle for there.

It seems likely,as John says, that it was a quiet time, and thus I believe it was the daily routine of sniping,shelling, and raiding in the trenches which caused his wounds and death.

Sotonmate