Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National War Savings badge

Andy A

Hi all,

recently aquired this badge but dont have much info on it. Its not a 1930s Nazi badge but marked National War Savings Committee for Service. I have googled it and i believe its from WW1 but could be wrong. I appologise if it is post WW1

Marked on the back Thomas Pattorini, Birmingham. Anyone any info?

Andy

post-18379-1236872910.jpg

It is a WW1 era badge of UK origins.[The Swaztika was a "Good Luck Charm" even used in Scouting Medals @ this time...

It is a WW1 era badge of UK origins.[The Swaztika was a "Good Luck Charm" even used in Scouting Medals @ this time...

Thanks for that, i thought it was a WW1 badge. Glad i got it at at a reasonable price, something i have seen on auction for silly monies in the past.

Andy

Last one I saw in a Peterborough Antique & Collectors Shop was £55!!!!

This is the symbol used on the advertisements for National Savings that appeared in the newspapers during the Great War.

The one below is from the Holmfirth Express.

Tony.

post-3707-1236977884.jpg

Andy

I was investigating a WW1 badge recently that was also made by Pattorini. Originally they were based in Bradford but moved their factory to Birmingham in 1917. So this should nail it to 1917-1918.

Nice one!

John

Last one I saw in a Peterborough Antique & Collectors Shop was £55!!!!

I paid 18 quid for it so thats a result. I have been watching for one at the right price on feebay for a while now and i thing it was worth the wait.

Thanks guys for your comments, am a lot happier now.

Andy

Andy

I was investigating a WW1 badge recently that was also made by Pattorini. Originally they were based in Bradford but moved their factory to Birmingham in 1917. So this should nail it to 1917-1918.

Nice one!

John

Just had a look at my list of gren makers John, not there so i am very gratefull for your info.

I dont know what the badge is made from, looks like aluminium, perhaps it was because of the brass shortage we have discussed in late 1916? I therefore think your dates are in the right area.

Many thanks,

Andy

Just for completeness - the Birmingham badge-makers were and are Thomas Fattorini & co.

Tom

Thanks Tom,

the makers name is a bit difficult to read due to a double stamping.

Nice to get it correct, thanks.

Andy

• 5 years later...

I have recently obtained one of the small square badges, the newspaper clipping explains everything. Makers name J.A.Wylie London. they also made the 1915 & 1916 On War Service badges. There were 2 separate Fattorini companies - even though they were part of the same family - Thomas Fattorini Bolton and Fattorini & Sons Bradford. Any Fattorini badge marked Birmingham is post WW1 as they both registered Birmingham addresses in 1919