Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Metal Heeled and Nailed Boots

Peter and Ellen

I have tonight been told that the German Army, at the start of WW2 in Norway, were wearing ankle boots with U shaped metal heels and the walking pad area were metal nails driven up into the underside of the sole. He said the officers got mid-calf length leather boots.

He was told that they used them in WW1 as they couldn't be worn out and as such, would last for years. He says he saw them being worn by the German soldiers.

As I have never heard or seen it, thought I would ask for some guidance.

Tks, Peter

The German Army certainly had ankle boots at the time of the Great War-although the 'marching boot' was commonly worn by all ranks. Sometimes you see officer in ankle boots and leather gaiters or ORs or officers in ankle boots and puttees, particularly later in the war. U shaped metal plates were a common reinforcement to boot heels and there were also a variety of ways of 'nailing' boots from hobnails to metal studs and at least in the British case a system of driving many small nails into a leather sole until the effect must have been like a steel brush after some wear- I imagine that this was a lot more grippy than big studs. If you search for threads on boots you should find more information

Greg

Tks for this Greg.

I now recall a saying that my Father used to use when I was a little kid, "harder than hobnail boots".

The penny has dropped.

Tks, Peter