Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sheffield Library advice for visit

wulsten

Planning a visit to Sheffield Library next week, can anyone give any advice on where to start, hoping to view newspapers as after any info relating to a Sheffield pal Edwin Robert Stothard who died during the Somme offensive, any tips, leads or help appreciated

Wulsten

No advice unfortunately but a request.

If, while you're looking through the papers, you should happen to come across any references to '(Legion of) Frontiersmen' in East Africa I would be grateful for the details. They had a strong Yorkshire prescence and a number of Sheffield men enlisted so they might get a mention.

Please don't disrupt your own searches, research etc. it's just if you happen to come across anything I would be grateful.

Regards

Steve

I would ring the library and book a microfilm/fiche reader to make sure your visit's worthwhile!

Have you tried Regt Museum, in Rotherham? They may have records etc there that may be of use. They were of help with a couple ex Y&L who were transfered to other units.

Regards Jamie

Wulstan,

The reference library is pretty small and uses micro fiche readers for the papers. The Sheffield paper is The Star. The staff are helpful. Which unit was your man in?

Phil

Planning a visit to Sheffield Library next week, can anyone give any advice on where to start, hoping to view newspapers as after any info relating to a Sheffield pal Edwin Robert Stothard who died during the Somme offensive, any tips, leads or help appreciated

Another request! If whilst going through the newspapers, you happen to recognise which paper the cutting below comes from, I would be most grateful (my grandmother did not always label her cuttings!)

post-22880-1236881038.jpg

many thanks

David

Wulstan,

The reference library is pretty small and uses micro fiche readers for the papers. The Sheffield paper is The Star. The staff are helpful. Which unit was your man in?

Phil

12th Y&L

Wulsten,

to save you a lot of searching, if your directed to the Sheffield Year Book or the Sheffield Independent War Album, he is not in there, nor is he in the 3 scrap books you might be told about.

The main paper of the day for photograph''s was the Sheffield Daily Independent.

While your in town you might want to get a few snaps of the Rolls of Honour Edwin appears on, The Great Central Railway Memorial at the Holiday Inn and also the Victoria Hall Methodist Church Roll of Honour, 100 yds across from the library. You need the side door for this though, up Chapel Walk by the side of it.

If you find an image of Edwin would you mind passing one on to me ? I have just posted a list of 2,300+ images of Sheffield men that i have on my local 'Sheffield History' web site, and would love to include Edwin.

Also, Sheffield and District Family History Society are about to start a project to list every photograph in all of Sheffield's newspapers for the Great War years.

Good luck,

Dean.

Wulsten

I am slowly building an enlistment database for the 12th York and Lancs.

The only Newspaper reference I have for 12/1491 Edwin Robert Stothard is in a casualty list appearing in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 17 August 1916. He is listed as missing and his details appear as:

Stothard (1491), E. R. …(Sheffield);

Based on his service number, he enlisted around 10 – 14 June 1915

He was a member of B Company.

The medal roll lists him as “Assumed dead 1-7-16”.

He has no known burial and his name appears on the Thiepval Memorial.

According to SDGW, he was born in Blythe, Notts and enlisted at Sheffield.

I would be most interested to hear of any further information you have on him.

Regards

Mark

Dean - would you mind sharing the website address you refer to. My wife's ancestors inlcuded Sheffield folk. Many thanks - Richard

If you find an image of Edwin would you mind passing one on to me ? I have just posted a list of 2,300+ images of Sheffield men that i have on my local 'Sheffield History' web site, and would love to include Edwin.

Dean.

Hi Richard,

Many years ago i went up to the library at Rotherham to see the Y&L museum [when it was up there, think its now moved] and see what they had on the 10th Btn, in which my grandfather served.

The curator at the time was very helpful and allowed me into the storeroom where they kept their archives.

There was a sort of shoebox type thing for each Btn.

The 10th one had nothing in it at all, but they did have a copy of their history which was/is quite rare.

As i recall the 12th had two boxes which were full of papers and letters, and i think there may have been a diary too.

The 8th Btn also had a lot of information in its box

At the library is also the absent voters list for Rotherham which will list a lot of 12th men.

Rob