Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adjutant General

ddycher

All

Does anybody have any recommendations on where to find a detailed breakdown of the Adjutant Generals office during the war. I am trying to find which sub-divisions were responsible for what areas and how they were numbered.

Regards

Dave

Hello Dave

Try "The War Office List" (not the Army List) which I think is on open shelves in the Microfilm Reading Room at Kew. As I recall, AG6 dealt with personnel matters for the Royal Artillery, and you may be able to extrapolate a bit from that if you find a set of Army Orders and scrutinise the marginal references.

Ron

Dave

As you can imagine, the AG's department underwent a number of changes as the army expanded. Below is the list for 1917 which is a reasonable reflection of it for the best part of the war.

AG1 - Co-ordinating and general duties branch. Record and statistics.

AG2 - Infantry

AG5 - Cavalry and Cyclists

AG6 - Artillery

AG7 - Engineers

AG8 - Temporary non-effectives

AG9 - Machine Gun Corps and Tanks

AG10 - Medals

AG11 - Women

AG12 - Labour.

AG13 - formed 21.10.17. Took over the duties left at the War Office when the Directorate of Recruiting left on the formation of the Ministry of National Service. Also responsible for the transfer of soldiers who were aliens.

There were also sub - departments. I have the duties of some of them.

TR

Ron / Terry

Many thanks for this - great help.

Will follow up on the War Office List lead.

Terry do you know if AG2B were responsible for the Training Reserve ?

Thanks again.

regards

Dave

Dave

AG2 b were responsible for , amongst other things, reserve units and drafting so I suppose they could have had some responsibility for the Training Reserve. AG2 also seem to have some input into the TR on its formation.

TR

Thanks Terry.

I was looking for a connection between the Trg Res and the TF Reserve battalions so this covers it nicely.

Regards

Dave