Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/9th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders May 1915

Cnock

Hello,

I am looking for more info concerning the actions of 1/9th (Dumbartonshire) Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders at Sanctuary Wood in 1915

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Cnock

the following is an extract from Westlake's 'Battalons on the Western Front January - June 1915'

April - May

Took over trenches at Dumbarton Lake on 4th April. Relieved on the 8th and to Vlamertinghe. Moved into trenches in Glencourse Wood on 12th. Carried out further tours in this sector, resting at Ypres. Battalion records note that on 3rd May the line was shortened and the Dumbartons withdrew into Sanctuary Wood. Lt A.D. Mc. Anderson killed on 8th. Enemy launched a bitter attack on 10th followed by a furious bombardment and a cloud of gas. The Germans then came forward - ‘This was the Ninth’s day of glory and death.’ Casualties over 300. Lt. Col C.B. Clark, Lt. F.R.H Hutton, 2Lts G.H.G Birrell and K.J. Campbell among those killed. Relieved from forward area on 17th and withdrew to billets at Poperinghe. Joined 10th Brigade, 4th division and moved forward to La Brique sector on 22nd. Another gas attack on 24th caused high casualties - strength recorded at 11 pm as just 2 officers and 85 other ranks. Cpt A.G. Brown, Lt G.G Chrystal among those killed. Amalgamated with 1/7th Argylls on 27th May.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks, but I have the book You are referring to, here by me.

I am looking for more ample info

Regards,

Cnock

Here are the National Archive catalogue entries for the Bn war diaries

WO 95/2263 9 Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1915 Feb. - Apr.

WO 95/793 1/9 Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1915 July - 1917 July

As you can see there appears to be a gap for May/June

(I suspect the 1/9th may be recorded with the 1/7th here as a result of the amalgamation)

WO 95/1481 7 Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1914 Dec. - 1916 Feb.

I'll have a look in the Official History volume for this period if that would help although I suspect you may need more detail?

Chris

Hello Chris,

Yes the official history could be of help, I guess.

Regards,

Cnock