Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Great War video

fritz

Hi,

at youtube I discovered this video. Is it already known?

Fritz

It certainly makes me wish my German was a great deal better, Fritz! I get the impression that there is a small amount of "real" footage spaced out with staged material, possible from a training exercise and some scenes of barbed wire that look very much like they're filming a model. What makes me wonder is that a few of the vantage points would seem to leave the photographer very exposed if he had been filming in a real attack. Is that fair, do you think?

Keith

Actually, I didn't think any of it was 'real' footage but it was quite well done. (although I wish I could understand German). I'd be interested to find out where and when it was actually made.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Probably 100% fake, but very well made.

Some comments suggest it contains footage from the movie Stosstrupp 1917. Produced in 1932, Stosstrupp 1917 was a very popular movie in Germany. Writer Hans Zoeberlein was a private during the Great War.

Because of it's strong anti-war message it was banned by the Nazi's when they came into power. For many decades the film was believed to be destroyed. After it had been re-discovered and restored it was made public again, 70 years after it first appeared in cinemas.

More here.

Roel

Hi,

Keith, in a real attack the photographer would be a death man, I think.

That is what I also guess, this are scenes from a film made after the war. And if you understand what the speaker tells us it is from an anti-war campaign.

He tells in a dramatic way the presence of death everywhere. And so it finished.

Roel, I cannot open your link, because I am just at school and for pupils it is blocked.

Kind regards

Fritz

Fritz, thank you an interesting video , either posed or not it shows the storm tactics used by the German forces so well in the 1918 advance

Andy

:rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

A surprisingly large number of the German soldiers appear to have Lee Enfields :whistle:

William

recently on military channel clash of warriors most of the film could be seen in various episodes,fake but good

Biff