Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines ( I know they are not soldiers!)

daggers

News from the National Archives today:

"We've put more than 110,000 Royal Marine service registers online for you to search and download. If your relative joined the Marines between 1842 and 1936 you may be able to find them here. You can search by surname, first name and date of enlistment.

The registers can tell you the ships that your Marine served on, medals they were awarded, details of their conduct - or misconduct - and more. We also have some handy search tips, advice on understanding the registers and suggestions on where to look for more information. Searching the index is free, so start looking now.

Michael Leydon

Editor"

Mods - if this should be in Ships and Navies, please move it.

Daggers

Thanks for the info.

This announcement was made two months ago. B)

See this link.

Regards

Mike S

This ‘news’ was discussed at the following link http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=114421 on the forum.

It is still worth pointing out that these registers of service were introduced in 1885 and apply to men who were serving at this date, some of whom had enlisted as early as 1842. To research a 19th century Royal Marine who was discharged prior to the introduction of these registers you will need to consult the Division Description Books in ADM 158 and the enlistment and discharge papers in ADM 157. Both of which are found at the National Archives. The latter records are being added to the online catalogue where they can be searched by name.

There is an overview of books available on researching the Royal Marines at http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=108567.

Regards

Bootneck

My incoming email must be v. slow!

D

D

Not as slow as mine it would seem - I didn't get the email until today. :wacko:

Wonder why the delay from the NA?

Mike S

Probably the newsletter people were last to know.

Its a shame that they have digitised the Naval officers from ADM196, but not the RM officers in the same series!