Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC: Trying to find out about Grandad

JimTripp

After the war my Grandad went to Exeter University and became a chemist running his shop in Bridgwater untill he retired.

I have a photo album with some pictures of him serving at a millitary hospital in Eygpt and Palastine, however I always wondered about 3 or 4 photos which show his friends (presumably taken by him) in green uniform, posing on blown up trees, next to hedges and quite clearly Europe and not the Middle East.

A few months ago my sister was talking to my very elderly Aunt who just mentioned that 'Papa's' life long slight stutter was due to his time in the trenches but she knew nothing else. As far as I know he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps, any ideas where I can start looking to find out more?

Grandad was - Charles William Tripp.

Just above your message it says "Before you ask a question about finding a soldier's service record or medal index card, make sure you have first visited "Researching a soldier" at The Long, Long Trail website. The answer is there in 90% of cases. There's a link to it at top-left of this page".

It's good advice.

The service papers of Henry Champion 80721 survive. He enlisted on 1st November 1915 and was posted on 9th November 1915. Your grandfather would have enlisted around the same time.

Mel

Thank you very much, I'm quite new to this and at least now I know he was in the RAMC for sure and have his service number.

Will have to now try and find out where he was deployed during the war.

Thank you.

Jim

If you know any of his friends' names that served with him in the RAMC then their service papers (if they survived) may provide some answers.

There is a possibility that your grandfather's papers have survived but currently only a check at the NA will confirm the same.

Regards

Mel