Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit ID

harrison919

post-36169-1236849501.jpg Was wondering if anyone can identify the uniform in this pic. The only info i have that he was joseph Armstrong born Hartlepool, Durham in 1900

Sherwood Foresters? The cap badge and the shoulder title suggest it.

That said, it's a very odd distortion on the picture, so maybe a re-size would help.

I'd agree with Broomers, Sherwood Foresters it is.

According to the NA there are two MICs for possible Joseph Armstrongs.....

Medal card of Armstrong, Joseph S

Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

Regiment No: 119595

1914-1920 WO 372/1

Medal card of Armstrong, Joseph

Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

Regiment No: 102019

1914-1920 WO 372/1

Regards

Steve

thanks guys.

It would be Jospeh Sutherland Armstrong, all the males in the family had the middle name sutherland.

Any reason why he would be fighting in a notts & Derbys regiment when he came from the North East. I assumed possibly wrongly that he would have fought in the Durham Light Infantry.

Hi,

I think I've found his service papers on Ancestry (20 pages):

Joseph Southeran (sic) Armstrong

Born Hartlepool 1889

Enlisted in 6th Btn Durham Light Infantry TF 19/4/1912

Service numbers 1597, 203323 (5DLI TF)

Here's his MIC:

jsa.jpg

Hope this is your man,

Simon

119595 Joseph S Armstrong, Notts and Derby (Sherwood Foresters) definatly.

The man on the picture was born in 1900 so he can't be the one on the MIC..................I bet they're related tho' !!! ;)

Steve.

Thanks for the replies but the man mentioned in DLI is not my great uncle. But that mans service record was a good read. It maybe that they are related, the Armstrongs are a large family from the Hartlepool area. However my Great uncle was listed in the 1901 census as being 1yr old. I persumed 1900 birth, it is in fact 1899 according to the tees valley index.

Thanks again for the ID on the unifrom but can anyone suggest why a man from the North East would be in a Derbys regiment.

can anyone suggest why a man from the North East would be in a Derbys regiment.

In a word, Conscription. Judging by his age he would have been too young to have volunteered (officially) so would have been subject to the later Acts governing conscription etc. where the soldier had no choice in where he ended up.

This is from the LLT mothersite....

"...the Government introduced the Military Service Act on 27 January 1916. All voluntary enlistment was stopped. All British males were now deemed to have enlisted - that is, they were conscripted - if they were aged between 18 and 41 and resided in Great Britain (excluding Ireland) and were unmarried or a widower on 2 November 1915. Conscripted men were no longer given a choice of which service, regiment or unit they joined"

Regards

Steve