Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Soldier...Calling an RFA expert

certacito79

Hi Guys,

A very close friend of mine has given me her G Grandads "Squeak and Wilfred", I have the MIC from ancestry. Although she has given me them for keeps, I want to find out as much as I can and give them back to her, where I think they belong. She just sees them as "medals" and thats it.

You cant catch me out on the Cavalry, but Im out of my depth with the RFA. Its going to be a while before I get to Kew again and I just wondered if anyone could help. He was awarded a SWB, so was injured and invalided out, thats I have gleaned from the MIC.

Thanks if anyone can help.

post-41464-1236723248.jpg

I assume from the coloured MIC that you have access to Ancestry? If so then Lewis has some records in the 'pension' section, they're filed under his original number 2046.

If I've assumed wrong then let me know and I'll download them and send them on.

Regards

Steve

I assume from the coloured MIC that you have access to Ancestry? If so then Lewis has some records in the 'pension' section, they're filed under his original number 2046.

If I've assumed wrong then let me know and I'll download them and send them on.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for that Steve, have PM you with my email address if thats ok,

Really Appreciated.

I will be able to get togther enough to get my friend interested in her past I hope.

John

John

Email sent, records were only four pages long but they're a start.

Regards

Steve

From his 1917 number he is either:

780001-785000 246 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/2 W RIDING BDE

780001-785000 311 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/2 W RIDING

His service papers should make clear which one. From there, check out which division the Brigade was attached to, and follow through on The Long Long Trail. Check his birthdate. Generally you had to be 19 before you went overseas, although we know that that wasn't always the case.

cert

The 780555 service number places with the six figure renumbering sequence for the780001-785000 246 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/2 W RIDING BDE and 780001-785000 311 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/2 W RIDING

Mel

Snap! :)

From his 1917 number he is either:

780001-785000 246 BDE, RFA TF/ 1/2 W RIDING BDE

780001-785000 311 BDE, RFA TF/ 2/2 W RIDING

His service papers should make clear which one.

They do, it's 311 Bde 2/2 West Riding RFA.

cert

There is a nice little synopsis of the war record of the 2/2 WR 311th here:

http://www.archive.org/stream/warserviceso...00ande_djvu.txt

Mel

Thank you all for everything, If i get the SWB roll when Im at Kew thats pretty much the whole story.

Thanks for all your help

John

I have just started researching the 311th Brigade - my grandfather (Lieutenant, then acting Captain, then acting Major Hollingworth) was attached to B battery - and gets a mention in the link provided by Mel above. The problem is that in January 1917 the brigade became an Army Brigade and left the 62nd Division (although 311th Brigade remained attached to 62nd division until 22 march 1917). I have establised that the Brigade supported the Canadians in the taking of Passchendaele in November 1917. Thanks to another forum member (Brianraf) I have got some (hard) copies of the war diaries of the Brigade for May 1917 to July 1917 and from 16 Sept 1917 to 31 Dec 1917. If you want any particular info from the diaries for this period, then send me a PM.

Incidentally my grandfather was in 246th Brigade before transferring to 311th - but not sure when the transfer took place.