Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with soldiers MIC please

dundeesown

Can anyone help with this please ? am I right in thinking this lads Victory & B.W.M will have his R.E. nos on them and his star have his Black Watch Nos on it ?

& it looks as if he had the SWB but looks as if it has Dup.in front of it and after the1305 looks as if it says cancelled ???? 44a RE/2c.46 ?looking for any thoughts on it.

post-10020-1236719581.jpg

many thanks Gary.

Hello Gary,

You have asked very nicely and politley for help but in the wrong section, I am afraid.

Ask a Moderator to move the request to the "Interpreting Medal Index Cards" section of the Forum.

You will definitely get a reply there. Just to start you off, he did not get a Silver War Badge. That bit "Dub Sub" means Duplicate Submitted(Application).

Regards Mike Jones

Small edit. As usual I did not explain myself well. It was Dup-licate Sub-mission for his 1915 Star.

Thanks for that Mike,must have had a hot flush when I posted this ,can a mod move this post for me,please.

Thanks for that Mods think I`m going daft.

Gary

Gary

The Star would have been inscribed with the Black Watch and the pair with the last Corps/Regiment served with in the theatre of war.

Your man was obviously in the 1/4th Battalion and the second Black watch number is his six figure renumbering. He was obviously medically downgraded because of wounds or sickness and transferred to the Labour Corps.

I dealt with a query about the RE 604*** number sequence recently and this was for men previously discharged/demobilised who re-enlisted in June/July 1919 for a fixed term of one year.

regards

Mel

Edited: Thanks Mike for picking up on my booboo :)

Gary

Mike has pointed out what appears to be a bit of an anomoly to me.

The RE number is marked with an x and four dots which usually indicates that the pair are inscribed with that Corps.

Charles was with the Labour Corps at the time of the Armistice and, as far as I can tell at the time of his discharge on 24/2/19 - hence the 1914-15 Star appears in the Labour Corps Medal Rolls. If he had been with the RE at that time the Star and the pair would have been on the Medal Rolls of the RE.

I have checked a few in the 604*** series:

604528 enlisted on 3/5/19 after having been discharged on 2/3/19 as RE WR/509175 and

604685 enlisted on 5/5/19 after having been discharged on 22/2/19 as ASC 128850.

If the pair were inscribed with the RE (as indicated by the markings on the card) then it is either a mistake because it should have been the Labour Corps or your man was sent back to France which seems a strange basis for treating it as the last corps/regiment served with in the theatre of war.

Something to ponder.

Regards

Mel

Gary

I suppose they are looking for the pair?

I would love to find the answer to this curiosity.

Mel

The medals given to them as kids to play :o with now lost, but I have told them to turn the family houses upside down they must still be with the family?

Gary

Hello Gary and Mel,

The activities of Pte. Charles Tinney have got me beat. Nothing much makes sense to me. Mel has put me wise to some bits, other bits are still a mystery. Pte. Tinney is not in the on line pension records and Ancestry are not up to the letter "T" yet in the Service records. Mel is right on the number 604781. It was not issued till after 1918.

He appears to have won his 1915 Star whilst in the Labour Corps on the 15th December 1915. The Labour Corps was not formed till January 1917 ! Gary assures us the 15 Star is impressed "Royal Highlanders" . The Duplicate Submission was cancelled on the Authority of "44a" but it looks to me as if RE/2c is another submission for a 15 Star as well. It is a pity you dont live nearer the National Archives Gary. You could look up all the references and see what is going on.

Regards Mike Jones

Thanks for the help lads I`ll see if I can get more info from family.

Gary.

P.S---It is 2820 Royal Highlanders on Star.