Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private William Narrie MM 15th Bn. Royal Scots

KF Kelly

I would appreciate if anyone out there could give any information to indicate how Private Narrie won the MM. I am enquiring on behalf of a family member. The family have some information on their relative but the medals of this soldier are lost as is his story. Private William Narrie No 24663 15th Bn Royal Scots was killed on 28/4/1917. He was listed in the London Gazette supplement of 18/6/1917 so I imagine he may have died at Arras. The family have the CWGC extract and the service record (burnt). The family history is interesting. There are two sets of Narrie brothers on the CWGC database. The parents lived fairly near each other in Edinburgh and the brothers were probably cousins. I realise that there might not be any more information available but the family would be pleased to learn anything.

Thank you,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

It might be hard to find out much about his MM. He could have been awarded it on the 9th April as 15th Royal Scots were heavily involved in the first attacks of the Battle of the Scarpe near Arras or actually on the 28th when the battalion attacked Roeux and received very heavy casualties, obviously including William. There is a book about the Royal Scots by Major Ewing which someone may look up for you but MMs are not always mentioned in unit histories, especially as this is a book about quite a number of battalions.

Jim

The Gazette date is consistent with an award for the action at Arras on 9 April 1917, when the battalion reached the German position around Point du Jour - close to where Privates Gunn and MacMillan were discovered a few years ago. They're now buried in the wee cemetery up there.

Narrie was killed during the ill-fated assault on Roeux village.

Dear Jack and Jim,

Thank you very much for your replies, the family will appreciate any information and this certainly moves things forward. Knowing the general area where William was killed is a big help. From my readings of this site I had realised the difficulty in finding out about a particular MM award and that there might not be much recorded.

Regards

Kevin