Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Kate Wills

1/7th Kings (Liverpool) online thesis

Kate Wills

http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/384/.

http://eprints.worc.ac.uk/view/subjects/DA.html

Gregson, Adrian (2004) The 1/7th Battalion King’s Liverpool Regiment and the Great War – the Experience of a Territorial Battalion and its Home Towns. PhD thesis, Coventry University in collaboration with National Museums on Merseyside.

Ian Riley

Thank you, Kate.

Ian

Ken Lees

This is quite a volume of work. My printer is exhausted and I have enough reading material to take me into the summer.

Thanks Kate.

Ken

bruce

Thanks for this Kate.

I'm going to be joining Ken in reading this for some time to come!

Bruce

Ian Riley

Skimming the conclusion, the thesis seems to echo a lot of Helen McCartney's work on the 6th and the 10th KLR as regards local community identity and the battalion's portrayal in the local press and I am keen to see how he manages to conflate the Bootle and the Southport of WW1 into a single 'community'. The good Borough of Sefton today seems more divided than cold war Berlin. Still, it needs a solid read and I look forward to seeing more of the link between Southport and Festubert where the 1/7th KLR have shed their blood in 1915 and 1918.

I was told that there was a Rue de Southport in Festubert but could not find it two years ago. I am told that there is a memorial plaque in the new Salle des Fetes that presumably came from the immediate post-WW1 building. However, it was locked when I drew up outside.

Ian

Kate Wills

To be honest I found my way to this in researching someone who MAY have served with the battalion / regiment. His name was Arthur Winn, and he was a member of a concert party called The Red 7. Winn later found fame playing Ernest the Policeman in BBC's Larry the Lamb Children's Hour series with Derek McCulloch (who was seriously wounded on the Somme). Winn formerly enjoyed a successful career as an opera singer.

Does Arthur Winn's name ring any bells in Liverpool Regiment circles?