Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B/W photos for colourising needed

Chris Foster

Well said, Sean. I don't have any technical expertise in this field, but I instinctively appreciate the way that Chris brings out colours that enrich the image without dominating it. I think this is because he has the uncommon combination of an artist's eye and practical experience of civil engineering/construction. His colourisations of studio portraits of colourful subjects such as men in Highland dress are as good as they get, but his work with mud, slime, chalk, rust, smoke, filthy water, worn and faded uniforms, weathered faces, etc, is simply sublime. My all-time favourite, which I think Chris had to delete because it was an IWM photograph, is a group of Scottish soldiers walking up a rutted road, led by a piper. The colours in that image are so natural and muted that the most prominent element in the whole composition is the plume of grey fag smoke issuing from the mouth of one of the men.

Mick

I'd love to see it... unofficially of course thu' a PM... but maybe it's wishful thinking...

Chris

I don't reacall if I sent you this one or not.

Another "paused" rather than posed I suspect. (note removed bolt on floor and on table)

I cannot be certain but I believe this was taken outside a billet in Bedford in the Autumn of 1914.

let me know if you want the hi-res file.

Chris

post-14525-1243279082.jpg

Interesting photo that last one, The man with the Glengarry on is an officer by the looks of it. However he looks just like one of the bays with sleeves rolled up and , fag in mouth and rifle in hand.

Alan

Not sure that he is an officer, but he has a nice watch.... looks like a converted pocket watch judging by the size of it.

Chris, what a great photo .

I'm afraid its just a little to under exposed for me to work on I've tried lifting the levels a tadge but I lose definition .

Kindest Regards

Chris

Afraid not Ian,

The skin tones tend to peak to much which leads to white out.

Thanks for having a go though.

Regards

Chris

There is really no substitute for a fine, clear and sharp original image for the colouring biz, is there? That's why (frustratingly) the IWM images were so good to use....

Spot on Ian,

It can be very frustrating, paritcularly when the subject is as good as this one

I think out of every five b/w images I see, one will be ok.

Regards

Chris

What makes it particularly special as a 'snapshot in time' is the fact that the horses are looking into the camera too !

(Or is the darker one a mule?)

Siege, they are both mules. :)

Great work, and photos. Look forward to the end result.

There are some photos out of copyright at the AWM Collections. An email would let you know if you can use them.

Cheers

Kim

Still no go Sean.

There are not enough mid range tones to make a decent result. Its the luck of the draw I'm afraid

Kim thanks for that . I will get in touch with the AWM and see what the score is .

Regards

Chris

Still no go Sean.

There are not enough mid range tones to make a decent result. Its the luck of the draw I'm afraid

Kim thanks for that . I will get in touch with the AWM and see what the score is .

Regards

Chris

Any luck adjusting the curves?

Sean, yes I've tried curve adjustment along with tweaking the levels and contrast/ brightness etc.

There comes a time when you have to admit defeat . I'm not saying that it can't be colourised it can. It all depends to what level you'd be personally satisfied with . In this case I wouldn't be happy.

After many hours playing with images in an attempt to add colour, I can usually tell at a glance if its a goer or not. Thats been down to trail and error, a bit of gut instinct, but not any pre knowledge of the technical side of things.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

This is a photo of my Grandfather L/Cpl George Gadd, of the 2nd Worcesters taken in late 1914. Ian mentioned in post No. 79 about a watch in one of the previous photographs. You'll notice that Grandad is wearing a similar one, which looks very much like a converted pocket watch. I often wonder whether it is the one he gave to me when I was a small boy, and that I still treasure. Probably never know.

Hope you enjoy the photograph,

Regards,

Mike

post-39575-1243451014.jpg

Hi CGM,

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,

Mike

• 5 months later...
Thank you, it is a fine photograph and much better in higher resolution. I have a few more like this that I will dig out. One of the three men in the photograph is 116180 Pte Frederick William Monger; unfortunately he didn't mark the photograph to say which one.

Simon.

Which picture are you refering to?? Monger is my family name and I am just starting to research our families military history so this may be useful.

Thanks

Andy