Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B/W photos for colourising needed

Chris Foster

It shows Haig arriving at Dover from France for the first time after the Armistice

The Admiral walking behind is Roger Keyes. Do you know who the others are, George?

There's no note of other names on the caption sheet which came with the photo Mick. I'd tentatively guessed the Admiral was Keyes because Lady Haig left the following account of that day, but I'm pleased you've been able to confirm that ID:

Douglas was to receive an address from the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses at Dover on his arrival there, but as the ceremony would be very short, I decided not to go down for it, although Admiral Keyes had very kindly offered to put me up at Dover the night before, as the ceremony was to take place early in the forenoon. The ceremony at Dover passed off very satisfactorily and several addresses of welcome were read to Douglas, who replied to them. As they drove off from the docks to the station, where the addresses were delivered, the routes were lined with great masses of the population, who cheered enthusiastically. Douglas said he had no idea there were so many people in Dover and that there was no doubt that the welcome they gave him came from their hearts.

Do you happen to know what Keyes' function was in December 1919 - was he the Admiral in command at Dover?

I don't recognise the tall moustachioed general general alongside Keyes - anyone know him? But, using a magnifying glass, I'm 95% sure the figure immediately behind the tall general is Henry Horne.

Do you happen to know what Keyes' function was in December 1919 - was he the Admiral in command at Dover?

December 1918, I think, not 1919. Yes, he was the Admiral in command at Dover.

Chris,

Hope these four photos are of some use to your project-all of the 1/4th Kings own Royal Lancaster Rgt (1/4th battalion). The two large group shots are high resolution. I can also get you a higher resolution of Sergeant Fred Burn if you like. I thought the one of the terriers with the union jacks and tricolor might make for an interesting colour shot.

Eddie Motteram in the photos is my Great-Uncle-he served with the terriers between 1912-19.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss355/frances7101/

If you need anymore I will see what else I have.

Good luck with the project-the results so far have been brilliant.

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris

Great project. Good luck with it.

Let me know if you are interested in using these:

A group of North irish Horsemen relaxing after fatigues - nice detail:

http://www.northirishhorse.com.au/NIH/Imag...%20Squadron.htm

Lance Corporal Hamilton Stewart of the NIH - very different from the usual formal portrait photographs:

http://www.northirishhorse.com.au/NIH/Imag...n%20Stewart.htm

Here's my own dodgy attempt at colourising my grandfather's portrait:

http://www.northirishhorse.com.au/NIH/Imag...res/Recruit.htm

All the best

Phillip

The picture of "Hammie" is great. He looks like quite a character!

Hope you are still reading this, Chris. I will have a lage number of groups of men in "Hospital Blues" and some hospital interiors, plus an original WW1 attempt at photo colouring, fairly soon. I'll post some on GWF for interest and ID, and if you are interested I'll ask the album's owner if they would let you use them.

Adrian

Here are a few pictures from my collection that you might like to consider for your project. The first is of three members of the 26th Machine Gun Company in France.

post-6480-1242479975.jpg

The midden pic is a fine example of what one might call a 'paused' rather than 'posed' photograph - the men paused from their activity and faced the camera for a moment. Perhaps even more than 'reportage' type action photographs, I think that photos of this kind, with their rich and diverse content, offer the best starting material for Chris to work his magic on. If all the photos in the eventual book have so much in them, it cannot fail to be a great success.

How about this one? Or is it a bit too fussy?

Howitzer8inch.jpg

Tim (too)

Hope you don't mind but I tweaked your image a bit

post-45297-1242486954.jpg

I may be preaching to the choir here, but when scanning b&w images, do them in colour—you'll be able to manipulate them easier because you'll have more data to work with.

The midden pic is a fine example of what one might call a 'paused' rather than 'posed' photograph - the men paused from their activity and faced the camera for a moment. Perhaps even more than 'reportage' type action photographs, I think that photos of this kind, with their rich and diverse content, offer the best starting material for Chris to work his magic on. If all the photos in the eventual book have so much in them, it cannot fail to be a great success.

Thank you, it is a fine photograph and much better in higher resolution. I have a few more like this that I will dig out. One of the three men in the photograph is 116180 Pte Frederick William Monger; unfortunately he didn't mark the photograph to say which one.

Simon.

Many Thanks for the new additions.

I've not worked on any images over the last couple of months due to some problems wth my computer monitor. So I've used the enforced break to do other things and its also given me time to look at some of the colourising work I've done with fresh eyes, which is no bad thing.

I will get in touch with the forum members whose images I think would make good candidates.

As Mick has so wonderfully described , what I'm looking for is the "paused" rather than the "Posed" and I have to agree with him that the midden photo is a good example.

Simon I'd be very interested to look at an copy of this at hi-res.

Adrian I would love to have a look at the Hospital Blues and interior shots if I may.

Thank you once again for all of you taking the time to post your photos I very much appreciate it

Regards

Chris

Thank you, it is a fine photograph and much better in higher resolution.

What makes it particularly special as a 'snapshot in time' is the fact that the horses are looking into the camera too !

(Or is the darker one a mule?)

As Mick has so wonderfully described , what I'm looking for is the "paused" rather than the "Posed" and I have to agree with him that the midden photo is a good example.

Simon I'd be very interested to look at an copy of this at hi-res.

Chris,

please pm your email address and I will send a copy.

Simon.

Adrian I would love to have a look at the Hospital Blues and interior shots if I may.

Thank you once again for all of you taking the time to post your photos I very much appreciate it

I'm just about to email the people who now own the albums, so I'll get back to you if they are hapy (assuming you can use them, of course!). I think it will be after the cricket season before I can sensibly get them onto GWF in a batch, so I'll try to send you a few examples. Please PM me with your email address!

Adrian

Have a look at some of the images on this earlier thread

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=89972&st=0

Neil

Without doubt, there has been some truly impressive work done here. To me, however, I think it's possible to convey more emotion thu' tones of black and white than with colour (imagine Citizen Kane or The Third Man shot in colour—YIKES!), or an Ansel Adams photo shot in Kodachrome. I'd hate to give in to making something more appealing to a younger crowd by making it more colourful, akin to producing Fruit Loops instead of Corn Flakes.

I side with Frances Ford Coppola, who shot perhaps the greatest colour movies ever (Godfather parts 1 and 2) that of the ten top movies of all time, 8 were done in black and white, especially with a red filter, which is why his newest movie is in B&W, with only a few colour touches.

My only suggestion is when redoing these shots to consider creating an image that could have been shot with a lower f-stop, so the colours are richer and deeper. (Aye, there's the rub!). But this is only one man's opinion—a stubborn man of Scottish/Irish extraction (I neither forget nor forgive a slight!).

Apologising in advance,

Sean

No need to apologize Sean for what you believe in.

A lot of people whom I've spoken to prefer the original B/W's to the colourised images and some have suggested that its a form of dumbing down.

On a personnel note I don't like the colourised versions of the Laurel & Hardy films they did a number of years ago. I will only watch them in B/W.

My opinion is though, that the originals are still there to look at along with the colourised conversions there's room for them both, its up to the individual which they prefer.

That goes for the images I've worked on.

When I prepare an image to colourise the first thing I do is convert it to colour I also tweak the levels a little to be able to get more contrast in the tones and as you say it give's the colour more depth. I refrain from (or try to ) making the colours to rich as I don't like the result, aiming instead for more subtle colours but once again its personnel choice.

Kindest Regards

Chris

I refrain from (or try to ) making the colours to rich as I don't like the result, aiming instead for more subtle colours ...

IMHO it is precisely Chris's more subtle colours, and especially those at the 'mucky' end of the spectrum, that give his colourisations their particularly striking quality. I think there is a big difference between photos deliberately shot on high-grade b/w film for artistic effect (and then often manipulated using studio/darkroom techniques) and photos shot in bog-standard b/w simply because that's all there was at the time. To add the further dimension of comparison and 'what are the strengths and weaknesses of each medium', I do think, though, that your book should show some if not all of the selected photos in both the original b/w and in colour.

No need to apologize Sean for what you believe in.

A lot of people whom I've spoken to prefer the original B/W's to the colourised images and some have suggested that its a form of dumbing down.

On a personnel note I don't like the colourised versions of the Laurel & Hardy films they did a number of years ago. I will only watch them in B/W.

My opinion is though, that the originals are still there to look at along with the colourised conversions there's room for them both, its up to the individual which they prefer.

That goes for the images I've worked on.

When I prepare an image to colourise the first thing I do is convert it to colour I also tweak the levels a little to be able to get more contrast in the tones and as you say it give's the colour more depth. I refrain from (or try to ) making the colours to rich as I don't like the result, aiming instead for more subtle colours but once again its personnel choice.

Kindest Regards

Chris

Well put. Actually, your work on the photos resembles the way people (thinking of my grandmother in particular) used watercolours or coloured inks, or both, on photos back in the '20s. The very delicate and subdued tones give a familiar but distant look.

Well said, Sean. I don't have any technical expertise in this field, but I instinctively appreciate the way that Chris brings out colours that enrich the image without dominating it. I think this is because he has the uncommon combination of an artist's eye and practical experience of civil engineering/construction. His colourisations of studio portraits of colourful subjects such as men in Highland dress are as good as they get, but his work with mud, slime, chalk, rust, smoke, filthy water, worn and faded uniforms, weathered faces, etc, is simply sublime. My all-time favourite, which I think Chris had to delete because it was an IWM photograph, is a group of Scottish soldiers walking up a rutted road, led by a piper. The colours in that image are so natural and muted that the most prominent element in the whole composition is the plume of grey fag smoke issuing from the mouth of one of the men.

Mick