Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B/W photos for colourising needed

Chris Foster

Chris

Volunteers for the SA Heavy Artillery en route from Cape Town to England in September 1916.

If you would like to practice South African complexions I can send you a hi-res copy and another bigger group.

post-11597-1236968066.jpg

Carl

Great photo Tim, its not to fussy at all, its got life to it . You dont happen to have a hi-res copy do you . I would like to take a look if so. I see that the Gunners are actully pulling the Howitzer and limber by rope !

Yes the gunners are pulling the howitzer by rope. The photo is taken in Taunton, and the gunners are near the bridge over the river Tone. The gun was being pulled by a Holt 75, and i wonder if they have seperated it so as to not damage the bridge by overloading it.

Tim

Chris,

Further to Carl's posts above, my pics are at

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/PhilRW/

Feel free to have a browse (not all albums are WW1 so ignore those!) and let me know if any are of interest. They are not at full res on photobucket and I can rescan them at v. high res if you wish.

Bit late onto topics I'm afraid - been too busy to log on recently I'm afraid

Regards

Phil

Chris.

This is an unknown Captain Gordon Highlanders. note wound strip and Mons ribbon. The photograph was taken inSouthhampton date unknown. Cheers Rob.

post-56-1237004888.jpg

Four lads from the Canadian Machinegun Corp. Not in that good condition around the edges though. Cheers Rob.

post-56-1237005897.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/ras...0Service/7a.jpg

This is a group of RE Signal Section staff attached to ANZAC HQ in 1916.

The Sgt in the middle is 78416 John Wainwright MM

The original is sharper and can be scanned to high resolution

A couple of idyllic pics of British soldiers chatting up French peasant girls (well, apart from the sulky-looking git in the centre without a girl to talk to!):

peasantgirls.jpg

peasantgirl.jpg

That's a rather unfortunately named link to get shortened by the forum! :o

Andrew.

And here was I thinking no one would notice!

I can definitely see why he's chatting up that girl! :blush:

I can definitely see why he's chatting up that girl! :blush:

That's a bit harsh on the lass - besides, the sergeant's no oil painting himself. ;)

George, looking at those photos it wasn't all "Muck & Bullets" Nice pics.

Regards

John

Edit. Just noticed, the sergeants get the girls while the private gets stuck with the cow on a rope.

I have quite a few original 8x5 photos of the Birmingham Pals in training, a section of one below. I would be quite happy to post them to you so you can scan them to your own requirements. Let me know

Terry

post-66-1237145527.jpg

One of mine - group in hospital blues (grandfather with sling) Interesting group of different units. I can PM you this in higher res.

David.

post-446-1237156321.jpg

Aside from simply being subjects for the colorization project, this thread is also an outstanding gallery of some phenomenal photographs, so clear and full of character. Goes to show the IWM doesn't have a monopoly on all the best stuff!

Thank you everyone there are some interesting images among the postings.

Please keep them coming.

Regards

Chris

Here's another one for you Chris. It shows Haig arriving at Dover from France for the first time after the Armistice, en route to a Victory parade in London on the 19 December 1918. The original print I have of this measures 17" x 14". Press and photographers - including what looks like an American army cinematographer - can be seen on both sides of the Honour Guard of Royal Marines. My picture was taken for an American agency, and the original caption which accompanies it reads: Field Marshal Haig Welcomed Home Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig, the man who held up the German advance on the Belgian and Flanders fronts, received a royal welcome on his return to England. He is seen passing thru the Royal Marines, that acted as his guard of honor on his arrival at Dover.

HaigAtDover3.jpg

Chris.

Feel free to use this.I have the only copy but....it's in a glass fronted frame & I dont wanna take it out.

I will try & scan it & it should come out better than this effort using the camera.You have to look twice to see why the blokes are laughing.Dave.

photocuz.jpg