Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt-Col Norman Reid DSO MC

cahoehler

Guys

post-11597-1236689741.jpg

An uncle of a friend.

Lt-Col Reid and his wife died in mysterious circumstances.

Nothing is known other than he had studied at Trinity College Oxford.

LG 31370 page 6820 has a DSO award and LG 30450 page 44 has a MC award to a "Norman Reid" and these are probably our Norman.

Any information is most welcome.

Thank you

Carl

Is this the same Norman Reid?

"Norman Reid, who died at Cape Town in tragic circumstances in June, aged 56, played in one Test match for South Africa, against Australia at Cape Town in 1921, when he scored 11 and 6 and took two wickets. A useful allrounder for Western Province from 1920 to 1923, he gained his international cap mainly through brilliant fielding, usually at cover point. His most notable performance in first-class cricket was 81 not out for Western Province v Orange Free State in 1921-22. An Oxford Rugby Blue of 1912 and 1913, he was awarded the DSO and MC during the 1914-18 war.

Wisden Cricketers' Almanack "

from: http://content.cricinfo.com/southafrica/co...ayer/46968.html

. . . same Norman Reid . . .

Michael

Thank you.

It is indeed. His brother Frank wrote "Foot-Slogging in East Africa". 46 Sketches of the East African Campaign".

Carl

From August 1922 Army List

Small Arms School (Hythe),

Quarter Master & Adjutant ......... Reid, Maj. N., M.C., D.S.O., Qr,-Mr 14 Jan 1921

Regards Mark

It seems that the brother went not to Trinity, but to Oriel

see http://www.archive.org/details/registerofrhodes012418mbp

Pre-Will and 1903

BEFORE his death Mr. Rhodes had, by way of experiment, given a Scholarship

to the Diocesan College at Rondebosch, close by his own house,

Groote Schuur. The first Scholarship was divided between two Scholars.

The holders of this pre-Will Scholarship came into residence at Oxford

in 1904. Although there were South African Rhodes Scholars at Oxford

by 1903, it has been thought best to place the pre-Will Scholars by themselves

at the beginning of this Register.

REID, FRANK, b. 20 Aug. 1885. Dioc. Coll.,

Rondebosch.

Oriel 1904-7. Jurispr. 2nd Cl. B.A. 1907.

1908- : Practice of Law, Cape Town. K.C.

1935. 1915-24: Lect. in Law, Univ. of Cape

Town. 1915-18: 9th & 8th S.A.I.; E. Afr., Pte.

& Gnr. Chancellor, Church of the Province of

S. Afr. since 1930.

PubL: Footslogging in East Africa, 1918.

Inversnaid, Newlands, nr. Cape Town.

regards

Michael

quotes:

Small Arms School (Hythe),

Quarter Master & Adjutant ......... Reid, Maj. N., M.C., D.S.O., Qr,-Mr 14 Jan 1921

and

His most notable performance in first-class cricket was 81 not out for Western Province v Orange Free State in 1921-22

If this is the same man, then I wonder how he managed that?

. . . Western Province v Orange Free State in 1921-22 . . .

Michael

Cricket was then a summer sport and the Southern Hemisphere season would have run from about October 1921 to about March 1922.

Carl

Carl

The Centenary History of Oxford University Rugby Football Club has:

Reid, Norman, DSO, MC. Born 26 Dec. 1890. Died 6 June 1947. Nicknamed "Nag". Played at centre in the 1912 Varsity match and at fullback in 1913. Educated at Diocesan College Rondebosch and Oriel College. Also played rugby for the Barbarians, Blackheath and Villagers RFCs. In WW1 served in South West Africa with the Imperial Light Horse and later with the Royal Artillery in France and Belgium. Awarded the DSO in 1919 and MC and Mentioned in Despatches. Twice wounded and slightly gassed. Played cricket for South Africa v Australia in 1921, the Authentics club, and Western Province. A lawyer. Practised at the Side-Bar in Cape Town until he retired in 1944.

The Oxford University Roll of Service confirms Oriel College.

Cambridge won the 1912/13 Varsity match (10-3) and the 1913/14 game (13-3). Norman played four times at fullback for the Barbarians in 1912/13 and 1913/14, his first game being the 3-8 defeat at Penarth, which, if you will tolerate my indulgence, I only mention because many years ago I played for this club, though not in 1913!

Gwyn

Hi,

Army List Nov 1916

Royal Field Artillery, Special Reserve

(on probation) 2nd Lieutenant Reid, N, 26 Nov 1915

Army List Dec 1917

Lieutenant Reid, N, (Acting Captain RH & RFA 25 Apr 17), Employed with Trench Motar Batteries, 1 July 1917

Army List Dec 1918

Lieutenant, (Has War Service), Reid, N, M.C., (Acting Captain RH & RFA 27 Jul 18), 1 July 1917

Army List Dec 1919

Lieutenant, (Has War Service), Reid, N, M.C., D.S.O., 1 July 1917

Regards Mark

Debretts 1924 comfirms attached trench mortar battery and also MID'd

• 5 years later...
Guest ampswatts

The gentleman in this photograph is Luitenant (Acting Captain) Norman Reid DSO., MC. He is a Great Uncle to me and my Grand-Father's youngest brother. He served in the Royal Field Artillery commanding a section of 9.45in trench mortars. The rank given above is the highest that he attained. He returned to civillian life and the family law firm in Cape Town after de-mobilisation. He also had two Oxford Rugby Blues. The details that you have of his cricketing career and and death are true and correct. His elder brother Frank Reid was indeen one of the first two experimental Rhodes Scholars who later became a QC and Served as Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Cape Town from 1930 until his death in February 1963.

ampswatts@gmail.com

The gentleman in this photograph is Luitenant (Acting Captain) Norman Reid DSO., MC. He is a Great Uncle to me and my Grand-Father's youngest brother. He served in the Royal Field Artillery commanding a section of 9.45in trench mortars. The rank given above is the highest that he attained. He returned to civillian life and the family law firm in Cape Town after de-mobilisation. He also had two Oxford Rugby Blues. The details that you have of his cricketing career and and death are true and correct. His elder brother Frank Reid was indeen one of the first two experimental Rhodes Scholars who later became a QC and Served as Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Cape Town from 1930 until his death in February 1963.

ampswatts@gmail.com