Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Black Watch to 2nd Essex?

Skipman

2lxc7d3.jpg

Pte # 1527 William McIntosh 2/6th Black Watch ends up in 2nd Essex # 203208 Any reason why?

He entered theatre of war France 2/5/1915, same day as 8 men from the village in 1/6th Black Watch, and one from 1/7th black watch.

Am probably missing something obvious, but why would he be different?

Also ,any idea why the two 1985 dates, has someone recently requested medals?

Cheers mike

Mike

2/6 BW were disbanded in Sept 1917,so he might have gone wherever he was needed most !

The '85 dates may be one from each century ! The top one could be a birth date,though the 1985 one is clearly some kind of a processing stamp for whatever reason.

Sotonmate

Edit: Wrong ! He was only 19 at death. so both dates were 1985 !

Thanks again for your help Sotonmate. He was born 20/8/1898. So not sure what the 17/5/85, or 11 DEC 1985 mean.

The going where needed after disbandment makes sense though.

Cheers mike

EDIT unless he lied about his age 17/5/1885

Judging by the entry into theatre date, the 2/6th Bn were in Bridge of Earn ( LLT ), must be a mistake on MIC , should it be 1/6th?

Mike

Mike,

He went to France in the 1st line of the 6th serving in the 1/1 Highland Division. He more than likely did his training with the 2nd line, before the 3/6th was formed. The 6th Black Watch landed in Boulogne on the evening of the 2nd May 1915.

It is worth giving Fred Carse a PM and requesting if he can have a look to see if yer man was wounded.

Aye

Tom McC

• 9 months later...

Back to the mysterious William McIntosh.

I think am ok with the MIC

"I am researching this man. Here is his card. Can you help interpret"

Have learnt a bit since original post but am still a bit confused. ( what's new ) rolleyes.gif

According to a newspaper report, William McIntosh was " one a small band of Territorials, who left for North Queensferry on the famous 5th of August 1914 "
He was born on the 20th of August 1898 so on the 5/8/1914 he was not yet 16.
His MIC says date of entry theatre 2/5/1915 . He must have lied about his age, and been accepted and gone to France with the 1/6th.
His MIC says 2/6th though they never went overseas.
His Black Watch number 1527 is a March 1914 number.

If he had been found out as underage while in the trenches, would he have been sent home to 2/6th.

Does this make sense; He is a Territorial in Aberfeldy aged 15. He leaves with all the other men, is accepted, does his training, and goes to France on 2/5/15 with the 1/6th Black Watch. He is found to be under age and is sent back to UK, and is posted to 2/6th until old enough. Is then posted to the 2nd Essex with a 4th Essex number. ( somewhere along the line is in South Staffs )

I'm sure it will all make sense some day. Can anyone shed any further light on this man?

Cheers Mike

Just re reading the earlier posts and as he joined with other men from his village, surely they would have known he was under age?

I don't understand the reference to his Black Watch number being March 1914, as he was only 15 1/2 then, so even less likely to have appeared as of age to enlist.. I can't see the motive for the other men of the village keeping quiet, but 90 odd years on, who knows why?

Your possible reconstruction of him being sent back to 2/6 is understandable but the moving around to non Scottish battalions would appear strange as surely he would have found the accents difficult, whereas I'm sure he could have easily been accommodated in a Scottish unit.

Still, so long after the event, hard to know what might have happened..

Hope you find out!!

Thanks Kevin. I'm not quite getting it either. The report in the newspaper says he left with the other territorials in August 1914. His birth date is 20/8/1898

His MIC says 2/6th Black Watch. 1527 is a 1/6th Black Watch number March 1914. His MIC says entered theatre 2/5/1915, which is the date the 6th Black Watch landed in France. He was KIA on 21/4/1918 with 2nd Essex, his number with them was 203208, which is a 4th Essex number, and I have a photo of him wearing a cap with a South Staffs cap badge. :huh:

Cheers Mike

Edit 6th to 1/6th

• 1 year later...