Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st Btn Scots Guards

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

I have just received the service papers for my GGF who served with the 1st Btn Scots Guards but what is surprising is the amount of time he spent either in France or back in Blighty. Were the Scots Guards given special treatment to cover home. There is one reference to a Gun Shot Wound to his hand, I will come onto that.

The dates are:-

Home 28/08/1914 to 12/01/1915, that was trainging 138 days

France 13/01/1915 to 26/08/1916, thats 1 year 226 days

Home 27/8/1916 to 09/06/1917 thats 287 days

France 10/06/1917 to 20/05/1918 thats 345 days

Home 21/05/18 to 10/10/1918 thats 143 days

France 11/10/1918 to 04/01/1919 thats 86

Home from 05/01/1919

Total 1590 days service, giving 1022 in France and 568 days in the UK.

He was wounded in action on the 30th March 1916 a Guns Shot Wound to the hand. The dates show that he was in France but didn't go back to the UK until 26th August 1916 so the wound would appear not severe enough to get a Blighty. There are no other records of any other wounds.

Why out of just over 4 years service did he spend a year and a half at home.

I hope someone can fill in the details so I can pass the info onto my Grans sisters, whose father I am on about.

Many thanks in advance

Kevin

Kevin have you looked at his medical records. maybe that would put some light on it. It would seem that after the gsw he was back home.

phil

Guest KevinEndon

The only info I have on him came from the Scots Guards H.Q. I have no idea where his medical records are or if they still exist but 5 months after the GSW is a long time, if he suffered the GSW in France and it was that bad surely they would have shipped him back to the UK within days of it happening not 5 months. However if the GSW was the reason to be back in the UK for one of the times why the others, I am baffled

Kevin

Kevin

Injury or illness is the most likely reason. He could have been involved in training at the Depot if of NCO rank. The medical records, if they exist, should be with the service records from Guards HQ. The Guard's regiments kept their records themselves, and so they survived the the Blitz, unlike the majority of the rest of the WW1 service files.