Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

OBE or MBE which is it please?

museumtom

I am looking for information on Mary Rigney who is listed in the London Gazette half way down on the right here;

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/34...upplements/3099

Now the question is, what type of award was she awarded?, some say OBE others say MBE. What type of medal was it and what would one look like please.

Sorry for what may seem a silly question but you guys and gals might be able to help a doddery old codger to understand what she earned.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Tom

MBE follows on from title To be additional Members of the Civil Division of the saild most excellent order

Petr

Hello Petr. You confuse me. Can you dumb it down for a senior type of guy please. Is the medal an MBE or a type of MBE? Can you post a link so I may see one please? Sorry for the bother but this is all rocket science to me.

Kind regards.

Tom.

In the Gazette you've posted Mary Rigney is listed after the heading To be Additional Members of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order so she became an MBE.

MBE stands for Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

At a later date she may have been promoted to an Oficer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)

Hi

The link doesn't work for me, but perhaps this will help:

OBE - Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

MBE - Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire

Officers are senior to Members. There are other classes as well ; GBE, KBE, CBE etc

Its hard to tell the OBE & MBE badges apart in photographs - they are the same cross shaped design, same ribbon, but silver for MBE and gilded for OBE.

There are different divisions, Civil & Military. The Badge rose-coloured ribbon of the Military Division has a dove gray line down the centre, the Civil one does not.

You can see pictures and lots of info on wikipedia etc. Hope this helps.

Justin

Hello Petr. You confuse me. Can you dumb it down for a senior type of guy please. Is the medal an MBE or a type of MBE? Can you post a link so I may see one please? Sorry for the bother but this is all rocket science to me.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Can we all agree then that it is an MBE which is a medal like the OBE but in silver instead of Gilded and the Civil one will have just the plain rose coloured ribbon? Sorry about this buys, I'm just trying to get it all straight in my old mind.

Regards.

Tom.

Yes

No!!

for WW1 era the Ribbon would be plain Purple for Civil & Purple with central 1/8th Inch Stripe for Military!!!

The Rose Pink & Grey Ribbons are from 1937 onwards when the design of the Badge of the Order was changed in Honour of George V & Queen Mary.

Can we all agree then that it is an MBE which is a medal like the OBE but in silver instead of Gilded and the Civil one will have just the plain rose coloured ribbon? Sorry about this buys, I'm just trying to get it all straight in my old mind.

The MBE is a grade (the lowest) within the Order of the British Empire; it would be worn as a brest badge, which for a woman is suspended from a bow of the ribbon. The central motiff also changed in 1937 from Brittania to joint effergies of George V & Queen Mary. From 1917-37 the Ribbon was plain Purple for the Civil & Purple with central 1/8th Inch Red Stripe for the Military.

The Medal of the Order of the British Empire was a different decoration only awarded between 1917-1922.

The ranks of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire are:

Knight/ Dame Grand Cross (GBE)

Knight/ Dame Commander (KBE)

Commander (CBE)

Officer (OBE)

Member (MBE)

She was awarded the medal in May 1937, so which colour ribbon would be correct please? She was a Senior Nursing Sister so it may not be Military.

Regards.

Tom.

She was awarded the medal in May 1937, so which colour ribbon would be correct please? She was a Senior Nursing Sister so it may not be Military.

Regards.

Tom.

It should be the issue with the bust of George V & Queen Mary,in which case it will be the Civil Ribbon in Pink & Grey, as it is a Coronation award for 12 May 1937. ..

LG Entry

LG Preamble Coronation Awards 1937

NA Medal Index Card

That looks to me like it is gilded and therefore an OBE, but the ribbon and bow are correct.

Now I understand, thanks everyone. Its been a learning curve for me.

Kind regards.

Tom.

It is possible to be promoted through the ranks of orders like the Order of the British Empire, there is an example on the same page of the Gazette, where Hassan Bey Shukri had an MBE and had been upgraded to an OBE. So Mary Rigney could have later also been upgraded to an OBE.