Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private Cyril William Fowler - 23rd (County of London) Battalion

RED47

Good Morning

I have recently started researching my family history and have found that several relatives were lost in WW1.

Whilst I have found some information on others I can find little or no information on the above.

All I have in the following

Death Date : 26 May 1915

Regiment : London Regiment

Battalion : 23rd (County of London) Battalion

Number : 3174

Casualty : Killed in Action

Theater of War : Aldershot (????)

Would appreciate it if anyone help with some detail or point me in the right direction for further research.

Thanks

The first thing is to ignore Aldershot -that is a glitch in Ancestry's database.

Have a look at the 47th Division on the LLT:

http://www.1914-1918.net/47div.htm

Your relative was KIA at the tail end of the Battle of Festubert.

Regards

Mel

on 25th May the Battalion suffered 499 casualties and on 26th, the remnants were relieved -so your man was probably killed in the changeover.

The full War Diary is available here:

http://qrrarchive.websds.net/menu1.aspx?li=1

Mel

Thank you very much indeed for the information. To read the actual war diary is amazing

A couple of quick questions

1) is there any way to ascertain in which company he served?

2) His brother Lieutenant EW Fowler, 1/7th Royal Warwick was killed on 15.07.1916 would it be able to read the war diary for that regiment?

Again thanks for response

Red

To answer your questions:

1. Unless the War Diary specifically mentions an OR within a context it is virtually impossible to establish the company.

2. I am afraid that Christmas only comes once a year! :) You will either have to visit the NA or order on line. As an officer, your man will have an individual file at the NA. I suggest that you start a separate thread on him.

regards

Mel

Red

To answer your questions:

1. Unless the War Diary specifically mentions an OR within a context it is virtually impossible to establish the company.

2. I am afraid that Christmas only comes once a year! :) You will either have to visit the NA or order on line. As an officer, your man will have an individual file at the NA. I suggest that you start a separate thread on him.

regards

Mel

OK thanks, I thought I would ask anyway but I'm grateful for what you have advised.

I have already followed up some of the leads and am planning a trip to Kew and the East Surrey Museum , East Clandon as a result

Thanks again

Ray

Ray

As Lieut Edward Wareham Fowler in commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial we have a record (with photograph) for him on the "Missing of the Somme" database you are welcome to a copy.

However we do have a query

The soldier you asked about above was:

Private, Cyril William Fowler, 3174, 1st/23rd London Regiment

Killed in action 26th May 1915, aged 19 years

Born Hoddeston, Herts

Resident Hoddeston, Herts

Son of William J and Mary Fowler, of 32, Armwell St., Hoddeston,Herts

Commemotated on the Le Touret Memorial

Birth Reg Dec Qtr 1895 Ware

We believed that Lieutenant Edward Wareham Fowler, 1st/7th, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Killed in action on 15th July 1916, aged 25 years

Born Marylebone

Was the son of Alderman Edward Thomas Fowler and Elizabeth Fowler (nee Wareham), of 47, Avenue Road, Regent's Park London

He had at least 5 siblings, namely:

Muriel Louise Fowler (b1889 Marylebone)

Frances Lizzie Fowler (b 1892 Marylebone)

Cyril William Fowler (b 1895 Jun Qtr Marylebone)

Leonard Gough Fowler (b 1899 Marylebone)

However we do not believe that the Cyril William Fowler you mention above is Lieutenant Edward Wareham Fowler's brother.

Regard

Pam

Ray

As Lieut Edward Wareham Fowler in commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial we have a record (with photograph) for him on the "Missing of the Somme" database you are welcome to a copy.

Born Hoddeston, Herts

We believed that Lieutenant Edward Wareham Fowler, 1st/7th, Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Born Marylebone

Was the son of Alderman Edward Thomas Fowler and Elizabeth Fowler (nee Wareham), of 47, Avenue Road, Regent's Park London

However we do not believe that the Cyril William Fowler you mention above is Lieutenant Edward Wareham Fowler's brother.

Regard

Pam

From the information you have given above you seem to be correct.

I am certain about Edward Fowler as I have some photographs and other information which agrees with your data.

It seems I am wrong about Cyril Fowler. I will have to retrace my steps. Thanks for the correction.

I would like a copy of the information you have on Edward, how I do obtain it?

Your help is appreciated.

Ray

Ray

Born Hoddeston, Herts

Born Marylebone

Regard

Pam

From the information you have given above you seem to be correct.

I am certain about Edward Fowler as I have some photographs and other information which agrees with your data.

It seems I am wrong about Cyril Fowler. I will have to retrace my steps. Thanks for the correction.

I would like a copy of the information you have on Edward, how I do obtain it?

Your help is appreciated.

Ray

Ray

Just send me your email address and I will send you a copy of Edward Fowler's record

Regards

Pam

Thanks Pam

you can send it to ray at historic-golf.com

BTW you refer to EWs father as "Alderman" I've never come across that in any other reference to the family

I have several other pieces of info regarding EW, if they are not included in your info would you like me to send them to you

Regards

Ray

PS sorry about the double post a bit of late night finger/brain co-ordination failure

Ray,

His papers are online if you still have access to Ancestry. Here.

Looks like he was one of the men buried post-battle but his grave was 'lost' later.

There is another brother mentioned, 720920 W.L.B.Fowler 1/6th Seaforths KIA May 1917.

As to his company- you should be able to find out which one he was in as he was an original member of 1st Bn, and a list does exist for those men who went to France 14/15 March 1915. Clandon House won't be able to help on this but you should go to the Surrey History Centre as that's where the list resides, although I haven't got there myself-yet.

Do you happen to have a photo of Cyril you could share, or know anything about his occupation, as I'm creating a database of all 23rd London men?

Best regards,

Matthew

Ray,

His papers are online if you still have access to Ancestry. Here.

Looks like he was one of the men buried post-battle but his grave was 'lost' later.

There is another brother mentioned, 720920 W.L.B.Fowler 1/6th Seaforths KIA May 1917.

As to his company- you should be able to find out which one he was in as he was an original member of 1st Bn, and a list does exist for those men who went to France 14/15 March 1915. Clandon House won't be able to help on this but you should go to the Surrey History Centre as that's where the list resides, although I haven't got there myself-yet.

Do you happen to have a photo of Cyril you could share, or know anything about his occupation, as I'm creating a database of all 23rd London men?

Best regards,

Matthew

Sorry but I am related to another Cyril Fowler who was born in May 1895 and not the one born in Dec 1895 and killed in 1915 ( see above for the correction). Perhaps if you contact Pam she may have some further info.

Regards

Ray