Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WEBLEY MK VI MARKINGS

jorgeI

Folks, I'm new to this forum, retired Naval Officer (USN Aviation) and an unabashed Anglophile! I just added a long sought-after Webley to my collection, made in 1918 with all the correct & matching numbers & markings. Unfortunately it has been converted to 45 ACP or Auto Rim, but I have a work-around. I'm loading Auto Rim brass with correct .455 260gr Lead bullets. Anyhow, the unusual markings are as follows:

Left side, on the frame where it has the Webley patent marks, the letters "NZ" are super imposed over them as well as on the barrel markings. in addition, the back strap has in addition to the correct year of manufacture "18" a crown with the "GR", crossed swords ( I think) underneath, and a few other ordnance marks, the letters "N "up arrow" Z" and underneath the number 9

_

The revolver is in lovely shape, retaining about 85% of it's original fisnish, with no pitting and a bright shiny barrel.

I take it the "NZ" must stand for New Zealand which in and on itself is pretty neat. Any info would be appreciated.

jorge

Hi Jorge - welcome to the forum.

I think you are correct in your identification of New Zeland ownership markings on your Webley. The N[broad Arrow]Z is the standard marking (there are some pictures of a couple of SMLEs marked with them in a recent thread.)

I can't add any more information but there are a couple of folks on here (TonyE?) who might be able to supply you with a bit more information based on the serial number.

Cheers

Chris

Welcome from another Angophile American (and USMC brat :D )!

Jorge,

Is that you CDR Rojo?

5 grains of unique in .45 Auto Rim cases will give you a close approximate load to original .455. Use Lee .445 dies. The .45AR is undersize for the Webley but will fireform nicely. The .455 dies will resize them to the proper size. You'll need a .45AR shell holder.

Best of luck with it. I've also got a NZ marked Webley, we'll have to compare them next time you're in P'cola.

Jorge,

Is that you CDR Rojo?

5 grains of unique in .45 Auto Rim cases will give you a close approximate load to original .455. Use Lee .445 dies. The .45AR is undersize for the Webley but will fireform nicely. The .455 dies will resize them to the proper size. You'll need a .45AR shell holder.

Best of luck with it. I've also got a NZ marked Webley, we'll have to compare them next time you're in P'cola.

Yep it's ME! :) Thanks for the load. I found some 260 Lead .455 bullets at Buffalo Arms. I bought an Auto Rim Die so I guess that was wrong? I take it you meant .455 dies from Lee? I'll be in P'cola in 2 weeks, I'll give you a call. jorge

.455 Webley dies from Lee would be better. You can use the .45AR dies but the cases won't last as long. The Lee dies are not very expensive. Save the .45AR dies and pick up a Smith & Wesson or Colt Model 1917, they were both chamberes for .45ACP/.45AR

.455 Webley dies from Lee would be better. You can use the .45AR dies but the cases won't last as long. The Lee dies are not very expensive. Save the .45AR dies and pick up a Smith & Wesson or Colt Model 1917, they were both chamberes for .45ACP/.45AR

Ordered them today but they are on back order. I love Lee dies, I must have 20 of them! Sent you an email BTW, I guessed at your milmail. Didn't get boucned back so I hope you got it. j