The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd/4th Bn. Ox and Bucks

Ferguson73uk

Further to my earlier e-mail regarding my research into the deaths of two local brothers killed during the Great War, the second brother was killed on 12th September 1918 with the 2/4th Oxs and Bucks.

Lance Corporal Emrys Morgan Evans was killed during the attack on Junction Post (near Laventie) in a driving rain storm. During this action Lance Corporal Alfred Wilcox won the VC for attacking a machine gun position along with four other men.

If anyone can supply any additional infomation I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

Jonathan

There is a very short account of the incident in the battalion history along with a photo of Cpl A Wilcox. It mentions 2/Lt (?) Rowlerson being captured with several of his men after losing touch; Junction Post was a grass-bound breastwork and the fighting was unsuccessful.

You've probably got this,

Regards

Martin

Hi Martin.

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have a copy of the history.

Jonathan

Hi

If you PM me I'll send you scan of the page (1/2 page really) + photo of Cpl Wilcox

Regards

Martiin

I'm researching this man. Buried near Barnsley, but served in 2/4th Ox and Bucks. I suspect there might be an interesting story here.

Could some kind person look him up in Soldiers Died in theGreat War please? I would like to know how he is recorded and place of enlistment?

Thanks

A

LOFT, FREDERICK WILLIAM

Initials: F W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Unit Text: 2nd/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/04/1917

Service No: 200832

Additional information: Son of Frederick William and Sarah Ann Loft, of 50, Woolley Colliery, Darton, Barnsley.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In North-East part.

Cemetery: WOOLLEY (ST. PETER) CHURCHYARD

Enlisted Oxford, Residence, Standlake, Whitney. On SDGW as 1/1st Battalion

Neil

...On SDGW as 1/1st Battalion...

Definitely not in the roll of ORs for 1/1st Bucks (The First Buckinghamshire Battalion, 1914-1919, Capt. P.L.Wright)

Mike.

If he was in the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry he should be on the database in the regimental Museum (which is now at Bicester).

Talking of Corporal Wilcox VC, I understand that he has only recently been given a grave stone, although at least two other regimenal VC winners are still resting in un-marked graves, one of them - Colonel Frederick Augustus Smith VC - being a former commanding officer.

Enlisted Oxford, Residence, Standlake, Whitney. On SDGW as 1/1st Battalion

Neil

I think that should be WITNEY not WHITNEY.

Regards

Chris

• 3 years later...

Further to my earlier e-mail regarding my research into the deaths of two local brothers killed during the Great War, the second brother was killed on 12th September 1918 with the 2/4th Oxs and Bucks.

Lance Corporal Emrys Morgan Evans was killed during the attack on Junction Post (near Laventie) in a driving rain storm. During this action Lance Corporal Alfred Wilcox won the VC for attacking a machine gun position along with four other men.

If anyone can supply any additional infomation I'd be very grateful.

Regards,

Jonathan

I am the Great nephew of Emrys and Owen Evans. (Sons of Rev. William and Mary Evans.) My great grandfather was Trithydd Evans - their brother. Their names are inscribed on the Memorial at Llancarfan Church and were also on the Memorial at Carmel Chapel, Bonvilston. (Sadly the Church is now a private dwelling but this was our family chapel.) We have visited both the Plougsteert Memorial and Ovillers and plan to return in April. I have a photograph of the boys, also phographs of the Memorial Panel at Plougsteerte and the grave at Ovillers Cemetary if you are interested?