Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Donald Hankey

Terry Carter

I know an old copy of the WFA's 'Stand To' once did a feature on Donald Hankey. I am hoping that some one can help with a brief synopsis of his service with the The Royal Warwickshire Regiment. I believe it was the 1st Battalion. How long did he serve in the Regiment and did he see action with them?

Thanks all

I have to be off to a meeting in a few minutes but I will trawl through his published letters to see what I can find. In Oct 1914 he was with D Coy. 7th Rifle Brigade and was comissioned into E Brigade Heavy Artillery RGA, Woolwich. and at one point he comments on not having received a response to a request to be transferred back to the Infantry (Warwickshires) from the artillery. On 24th July 1916 he was at 4th Army school but by 27th was with 1st Warwickshires.

Kate

Terry,

2/Lt Hankey Donald William Alers. 1 Battalion. Died 12 October 1916 and is on Thiepval Memorial. Aged 31, son of Robery & Helen Alers of 1 Chesham Place, Brighton. Listed in Bham Daily Post on 21 October 1916 as 'killed'. He does not appear in either the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star rolls for the Regiment.

It would appear that he did not serve long with the Regiment. I should have the Stand-To somewhere in the house and I have a copy of the book. Do you want me to look for any extra info?

Rob

Thanks Kate and Rob

I just wanted to confirm he was with the 1st RWR. Someone I spoke to on the Somme last weekend was convinced he served with the 1/8th RWR. I knew he had not but I had no proof with me at the time.

He was killed, I believe, during an attack in the vicinity of Lesboefs.

Thanks again

Terry