Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

medals

David B

Hi all,

I realize that this topic is a bit (lot) off limits but think the overall topic would apply.

My late brother in law was the recipient of two medals post WW2 and I recently ascertained

that he was entitled to another 5. These have duly arrived and wishing to mount these together

I am faced with the problem of one tarnished medal and 5 shiny new ones. Should I get the

oldie cleaned up or left as is. And, how does one clean a medal anyway.

David/Canberra

Well you could leave them all on the garage roof until they have an even tarnish. or you could clean them all with a touch of metal polish and a very soft brush, then a good soak in warm soapy water. Ignore the nay sayers, if you are only cleaning them the once and then mounting it will be fine. Notice I said clean them all. Also i was making an assumption they were stars, if silver or cupro then silvo and a very soft cloth.

No abrasives, never use anything you wouldn't use on your own body. There are certain members of this club who will also disagree with that statement, but hey each to their own ^_^

Mick/Conservatory

Well you could leave them all on the garage roof until they have an even tarnish. or you could clean them all with a touch of metal polish and a very soft brush, then a good soak in warm soapy water. Ignore the nay sayers, if you are only cleaning them the once and then mounting it will be fine. Notice I said clean them all. Also i was making an assumption they were stars, if silver or cupro then silvo and a very soft cloth.

No abrasives, never use anything you wouldn't use on your own body. There are certain members of this club who will also disagree with that statement, but hey each to their own ^_^

Mick/Conservatory

One wiew is that the different toning reflects your brother-in-laws history, in that 5 medals were later issues. So perhaps one option is mounting them as is until time tones them naturally? If they are named and you want them to look the same, cleaning without abrasives would be my option.

Good luck!

/Lars

Hello David,

Clean them mate, as they should be. If you are/were a serving Soldier/Sailor/Airman and turned up on a parade with dirty/tarnished medals, you were in the ****. They have got to shine, just like your buttons had to shine ! How can anyone wear a dirty, discoloured medal with pride. I have a strong suspicion the patina/crap is left on to enhance the value. If re-sale value is your main motive leave the crap on. If pride is your motive make them shine, like I have.

My eldest son is in his 22nd year in the British Army (Lovely row of medals now), I shall ask him not to clean his medals for his next parade. No ****** chance.

Regards Mike Jones

(Lovely row of medals now),

And very hard earned. Good luck to him. I have on the wall in front of me my father-in-laws GSM-Bar Malaya. CSM-Bar Northern Ireland, LSGC and MSM. If I hadn't cleaned them before having them mounted WO1 Hofmann would be turning in his grave.

Mick

Thanks guys,

Clean em I'll do. The 1939-45 star is now 60 odd years old and vgc apart the tarnish of age, however

with all the shiny newies it would stick out er stick out.

Cheers David