Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where is this?

IanA

I have a copy of an aerial photograph which belonged to a gunner from a siege battery positioned near Ypres. It has 'Zonnebeke Road' on the back but I wondered if anyone can pin it down.

The notes in the top right hand corner read:

T.B.10.

28.I.16d.22a

14--7-18-11

F=8 1/4"

ZonnebekeRoad.jpg

Ian

I.16.d 22.a would put it just north west of Zillebeke not Zonnebeke which is in the D square However I dont have any maps from 1918 and cant place it on any of my 1917 maps as there is nothing that lines up with the curved formation on the left hand side.

Tim B

Ian,

I'll have a look ,have some maps frome zonnebekeroad , but I have a feeling your picture is closer to zillebeke, could be wrong, aerial's I'm not that good at.

kind regards

sabine

Where do we end up if we change ...22a in ...22c?

Roel

Ian,

I'll have a look ,have some maps frome zonnebekeroad , but I have a feeling your picture is closer to zillebeke, could be wrong, aerial's I'm not that good at.

kind regards

sabine

Hope this helps if I have learnt correctly how to read maps and aerial phots...I assume the 2 2 A would place it bottom left?

John

post-41464-1236500866.jpg

Hope this helps if I have learnt correctly how to read maps and aerial phots...I assume the 2 2 A would place it bottom left?

John

From March 1918, closet I can get to the date, I have tried overlaying it and the tracks to the south do allign if you rotate the aerial phot quite a bit but I am sure this defeats the object of the excersise?

John

post-41464-1236501418.jpg

Many thanks to those trying to help. I must admit, I'm clueless about the information which is written on the photo - I have lots of trench maps on CD rom but my refs are 28NE or 28 SE - what is this 28.I.16d.22a? I had assumed that 14-7-18 was the date it was taken - what about the 11 following? What does T.B.10 indicate?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Ian

Many thanks to those trying to help. I must admit, I'm clueless about the information which is written on the photo - I have lots of trench maps on CD rom but my refs are 28NE or 28 SE - what is this 28.I.16d.22a? I had assumed that 14-7-18 was the date it was taken - what about the 11 following? What does T.B.10 indicate?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Ian

28 = Map sheet number (The NE/SE/SW/NW was used depending which scale the phot was taken.

I = Grid Square in Map Sheet No.

16 = Square in Grid Square I

22 = Eastings Northings of that Grid Square

The 11 following the date I think is the time, so this is 11am

Aerial phots are usually suffixed with an F + a number which is the focal length, which does need an altitude to determine the exact scale of the phot, sometimes included sometimes not, in this case F = 8 1/4 "

28=Map Sheet No

John

post-41464-1236512279.jpg

I see it now. You are on the wrong map Steve because it is a letter I meaning it is on 28NW4-3B and here is the map from 13th July care of Linesman. I have rotated it to approximately match the photographic north.

post-28845-1236533495.jpg

I think you can see the lines - or is it just my eyesight!

Jim

I see it now.

So do I. Well done, Jim!

Thanks.

Ian

I think the T is actually a 7 which would mean that the 7 is the number of the squdron who took it and the B10 the photo number.

Tim B

Ian,

I took out of my liberary a copie of a german luftbildkarte mai 1917 ypern süd to compair with your's

see if I can scan it

you guys can find the match

I have to rest ( genou) and study for exam this evening.

kind regards

sabine

scan n° 1 is a part of a luftbildkarte stand am 20 mai 1917 (map to big for the scanner)

and you'll have to turn it

post-13594-1236601858.jpg

scan n°2 22/07/1917 you can see st jan road to st juliaan

the road that goes to potijze and the bellewaerdebeek

this picture was take by beobather lt. donath and führer lt barth

post-13594-1236602166.jpg

scan n° 3 taken 31/10/1917 zillebeke pond and part of ieper menen road

so compair

the girl has to study now, I have to pass exam otherwise my son will give me house arrest and no computer or ww1 books for the rest of the month.

kind regards

sabine

post-13594-1236602691.jpg

Ian

I think the T is actually a 7 which would mean that the 7 is the number of the squdron who took it and the B10 the photo number.

Tim B

Hi Tim, I enlarged that area and, yes, you may be right - the 'T' could indeed be a '7'.

Thanks.

Ian

scan n° 1 is a part of a luftbildkarte stand am 20 mai 1917 (map to big for the scanner)

and you'll have to turn it

Thanks for the scan, Sabine and good luck with the exam (not that you'll need it...)

I thought that Zillebeke lake was drained during the war but in 1917 it appears to be full of water. Was it ever drained or am I making it up?

the girl has to study now, I have to pass exam otherwise my son will give me house arrest and no computer or ww1 books for the rest of the month.

kind regards

sabine

Good luck Sabine - no computer for a month! I would go maaaaaaad :wacko:

Jim

Ian,

on that lake question I'll answer tomorow, just got back from exam 2 hours an 10 minutes for 200 answers political and social history and nothing about ww1.

if he would of asked about potijze or anything else I would have smiled.

kind regards

sabine

• 3 weeks later...

To me this looks like the picture of Zonnebeke in "Before Endeavours Fade" To the right of the bend can be seen the rubble remains of the church, opposite the road to the left.

I don't have any maps to refer to but this looks the same to me guys n gals