Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British war correspondent from "The Times" at Marasti

razu

Hi all,

In one of the chapters of Marasti battle is mentioned a British war correspondent from "The Times".But it doesen't say his name.So anyone might have an ideea what is his name...or anything?I know that it was Mr.Hamilton Fyfe,in the 1916 Romanian campaign.

Qoute:"Four days and four nights has lasted the pursuing of the enemy defeated and run away. In the evening of 27th of July the war correspondent of the big British newspaper ”The Times”, speaking with a prisoner German Officer,expresses his surprise that the Romanian patrols have reached the Hungarian frontier,without encountering a serious resistance”Where are your troops Sir..?”asks the correspondent.”If-answered the prisoner-ours continue to run away ,as they run in the last three days and if yours continue to pursue them whit the same quickness ,they must be close to Budapest, by now!”"

Thank you.

Andrei

• 3 months later...

As has been mentioned on the Forum previously, George Ward-Price was the 'OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENT WITH THE ALLIED FORCES IN THE BALKANS' and he subsequently wrote a book about the campaign available on line here: http://www.gwpda.org/memoir/Salonica/salonTC.htm whether he is your 'Times' man I don't know.... but I am sure someone will put us right if not!

Rgds,

TimP

TimP,

Thank you.Most of quatations in Kiritescu's book are numerotated ,but there isn't an index or explanatory for them .So they don't lead anywhere.

Many thanks.

Andrei