Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

11th Battalion East Lancashire

Rycroft

I have just traced a distant relative who served with the 11th battalion ELR and was kia 25/04 1918.

he is buried in Cinq Rues British Cemetery Hazebrouck. Was the 11th battalion ELR the Accrington Pals ? The soldier was Harold Veevers Service No 24512. I will check his MIC on Ancestry and also look up SDGW.

Any information on the 11th Battalion around April 1918 would be most welcome.

Thanks

Rycroft

Yes the 11th were the Accrington Pals.

"11th (Service) Battalion (Accrington)

Formed in Accrington on 2 September 1914 by the Mayor and Town. Moved to billets in Carnarvon in February 1915.

May 1915 : moved to Penkridge and attached to 94th Brigade in 31st Division. Moved to Ripon in July 1915. Adopted by War Office 5 August 1915. Moved to Salisbury Plain in September 1915. Sailed from Plymouth for Egypt on 19 December 1915.

Moved to France in March 1916.

11 February 1918 : transferred to 92nd Brigade in same Division."

http://www.1914-1918.net/eastlancs.htm

John

I would think the war dairy would maybe help you out, Maybe a forum member can help you? good luck.

regards,

Phil

• 3 months later...
I have just traced a distant relative who served with the 11th battalion ELR and was kia 25/04 1918.

he is buried in Cinq Rues British Cemetery Hazebrouck. Was the 11th battalion ELR the Accrington Pals ? The soldier was Harold Veevers Service No 24512. I will check his MIC on Ancestry and also look up SDGW.

Any information on the 11th Battalion around April 1918 would be most welcome.

Thanks

Rycroft

Harold VEEVERS was in a detachmentof 68 men aong with 2/Lieut Ritchie who were posted to the 11th whilst they were in Warnimont Wood June 24th 1916.

I also have the full details of 4111 men who served in the 11th East Lancs.

Since William Turner wrote the books on the Accrington Pals, we found another 437 men, and since Bill died in 2007, I've found another 5. I also have the war diaries, photographs and personal diaries of some of the men, also over 300 sets of service papers.

Retlaw.

You are a scholar and a gentleman, the Accrington Pals will never be forgotten thanks to men like you.

Rycroft

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman, the Accrington Pals will never be forgotten thanks to men like you.

Rycroft

Your welcome but please don't call me sir, I hate that word, as for scholar and gentleman, I prefer my nickname given to me by an officer. S.U.I.B.

Scruffy, untidy, insubordinate *******.

Retlaw.