Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Scots Guards - 1915

Guest cjc

On going through the War Diaries for the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards I have come accross an entry for the 8th April 1915 recording the awarding of a Distinuished Conduct Medal. Unfortunately the writing is not clear and it looks like it has been awarded to a Capt G Lemon. His number is given as 170414.

Can anyone confirm the name or tell me how to go about doing so.

I am in the process of transcribing the War Diaries for the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards for March/May 1915 and would be happy to make it available once I have finished verifying the spelling of names/places etc.

Chris

DCMs were not awarded to officers, and officers didn't have army/regimental numbers during WW1, so I suspect your award is to an other rank.

FYI there is the following soldier of the Scots Guards listed in the DCM book:

414 Cpl Lemon, S.

2nd Bn Scots Guards

London Gazette 3.6.15

You should be able to find the citation on the London Gazette website.

A couple of thoughts - I would say the man referred to was not a Captain. Firstly, officers didn't have regimental numbers and secondly, the DCM was only awarded to Other Ranks, not officers.

Perhaps the confusing handwriting is the problem. Maybe it says "Cpl" and you might be mistaking it for "Cpt"?

Tom

(A further comment on seeing my reply on the forum - see Paul Reed's answer above - we must have been repyling at the same time!)

Many thanks to you both for replying so promptly and proving my ignorance!

I think that Paul has correctly identified the soldier, but I will check with the London Gazette website and at the PRO.

I obviously misread Cpl as Cpt and S as G.

Chris

I have now found the citation for Corporal S Lemon, which reads:

“For gallant conduct and devotion to duty at Neuve Chappelle from 10th to 14th March 1915 in dressing the wounded under fire and directing the stretcher-bearers. He was himself wounded whilst performing this duty”

London Gazette 3rd June 1915

Chris

• 6 years later...
On going through the War Diaries for the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards I have come accross an entry for the 8th April 1915 recording the awarding of a Distinuished Conduct Medal. Unfortunately the writing is not clear and it looks like it has been awarded to a Capt G Lemon. His number is given as 170414.

Can anyone confirm the name or tell me how to go about doing so.

I am in the process of transcribing the War Diaries for the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards for March/May 1915 and would be happy to make it available once I have finished verifying the spelling of names/places etc.

Chris

Hi Chris...

I don't know if you're still transcribing the diaries, but I wondered if you had any information on where the Scots Guards were in April 1915. My wife's grandfather, John McLean's, MIC records his award of the Silver War Badge as 16th April 1915 and I wondered where he received his wound.

Many thanks

Geoff Russell