Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFA numbers - short ones

andiS

Hi

My great uncle's mic shows that before he got his long number, he'd been number 3228. Would anybody like to hazzard a guess as to his likely enlistment date from that first number?

I've seen from this thread that perhaps RFA numbers are not an exact science the way that other unit numbers are, but I wondered if (given that it's quite a low number) if anybody would know approximately when he might have joined up.

tia

andy

Hi Andy

Is the Roll number likely to provide more info. Alfred E. Osgood, RFA/1708 (TF) page 14193. It's the TF that got me wondering.

Regards Barry

Helpful folks here have pointed me at the most likely brigades based on his later number, and they're Territorial Force brigades. I've been to Kew to look at the actual roll, but it doesn't say anything beyond that on his MIC

For a RFA TF number, I don't think that is particularly low. I'm not sure how many men would be in each Brigade but it must be considerably fewer than in an infantry battalion. And I wouldn't condsider 3228 a low number even in a TF infantry battalion.

Ken

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that (or possibly wasn't thinking) - my grandfather in the Dorsets had a higher number than that and he joined up during the Boer War so I was confused about how somebody who only joined up during the Great War could have a lower number, even though in a different unit.

My confusion and lack of knowlege there :-)

My great uncle's mic shows that before he got his long number, he'd been number 3228. Would anybody like to hazzard a guess as to his likely enlistment date from that first number?

Ernest Perry #3226/960916 (so two numbers before your GUncle) enlisted 2nd June 1915 and Frank Coppock #3230/960919 (two numbers after) also on 2nd June 1915. So it seems sensible to suggest that your man's enlistment would have been on that day also.

Regards

Steve

I rather think that moves beyond 'hazard a guess' and enters the realm of 'pretty certain that'!

As always I'm both grateful and amazed in equal measure!

Pushing my luck slightly, you don't know where Perry and Coppock enlisted do you?

Pushing my luck slightly, you don't know where Perry and Coppock enlisted do you?

Putney Bridge and Fulham respectively if my memory serves me right, I'll check later to confirm.

Steve

Andy

Memory was ok, Putney Bridge and Fulham were right.

I had a look at a couple of others as well, 3234/960922 Frank William Abbey and 32xx/960925 Frederick Clark also enlisted 2nd June 1915 and both at Fulham.

All four enlisted into 3/7 London Brigade RFA, went overseas (various dates) to "London Base" at Havre before being posted to various units, two went to 47th DAC, one to B/236 Battery and one whose initial unit is unknown.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks a lot, that ties in with the information provided by the redoubtable Stebbie in this thread that he was in a London Brigade battery. Given where the family originated in north west surrey popping up to Fulham to enlist is quite plausible!