Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Davies

murray lloyd

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, but I'm trying to trace some info about my grandfather who served in 1914-1918.

On his 1914-15 star medal it has "SAR OPS L.I." He was from Gloucester and I think he went to India for a time.

His name is William Davies, don't know if he had a middle name or where he was born.

Any info on his military service, (what regiment, where he fought, was posted to, etc)would be greatly appreciated or any ideas

as to where to try next.

I will try to get the number off the 1914-15 star if that will help.

Welcome Murray. I wish you luck with your search. A number off the medal will help. Also, click on "long long trail" near the top left of this website - it is the ultimate guide.....

Regards

Andrew

Murray

The abbreviation on the medal - could it be "Shrops LI" - Shropshire Light Infantry were part of the Gloucestershire Regiment. There is at least one William Davies who served. The number i have for that man is 1458, but his Medal Index Card only refers to a Silver War Badge (basically had to retire from active service as a result of wound/injury sustained in the field) and fails to give the "full story" i.e. does not mention first theatre of action etc.

Andrew

Hi Murray

Welcome to the forum! If you can post as much personal info. as you can about William, family details etc any old addresses, it helps to narrow the search down when looking through papers on Ancestry. It is quite common to trace a soldier from the census records if he joined up prior to the War. Look forward to searching for you.

Regards Barry

Hi Murray

A Quick search on Ancestry service records shows a William Davies b. 11.12.1875 married 24.6.08 to Florence Rainwell living 50 Columbia St., Gloucester. He had previous service - 8yrs with 2nd Rifle Brigade RDC 258 P Coy. 78598 ended up with Royal Eng. Inland Waterways & Docks Section - 16764. Prev. occ, a Collier.Awaiting further info. from you.

Regards Barry

Murray

The abbreviation on the medal - could it be "Shrops LI" - Shropshire Light Infantry were part of the Gloucestershire Regiment. There is at least one William Davies who served. The number i have for that man is 1458, but his Medal Index Card only refers to a Silver War Badge (basically had to retire from active service as a result of wound/injury sustained in the field) and fails to give the "full story" i.e. does not mention first theatre of action etc.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Yes it is SHROPS.L.I and the number on the medal is 9364

There is also a machine gun badge with the medals, I can remember Dad saying he was a machine gunner.

Hi Murray

A Quick search on Ancestry service records shows a William Davies b. 11.12.1875 married 24.6.08 to Florence Rainwell living 50 Columbia St., Gloucester. He had previous service - 8yrs with 2nd Rifle Brigade RDC 258 P Coy. 78598 ended up with Royal Eng. Inland Waterways & Docks Section - 16764. Prev. occ, a Collier.Awaiting further info. from you.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

He was married to Charlotte Davies (maiden name also Davies).

They lived in Cheltenham had three sons Albert, Don and Colin(my dad)

From TNA:

Medal card of Davies, William

Shropshire Light Infantry 9364 Private

Machine Gun Corps 49095 Private

you can get his MIC from here for £2 : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Grant

Thanks Grant.

I downloaded the MIC, would you have any idea as to where to go from here.

Is there a Shropshire Light Infantry website to check out, I don't know how to find out what battalion etc.

Murray