Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Ryan Royal Dublin Fusiliers

ARMAGH

I am researching a John Ryan from Dublin for a friend.

it is quite confusing as I have some information, he was in 4 regiments/units.

Regimental No 607418 Lance Corporal Royal Engineers date ?????

Regimental No 244 Lance Corporal Royal Irish Fusilier date ????

Regimental No 4525 Lance Corporal Royal Irish Regiment date ?????

Regimental No 5752 Corporal Royal Dublin Fusiliers ??????

We are trying to find out when he joined the Army, where he served, and when was he discharged from the Army? also what medals would have been issued to him? Seemly according to the family, his wife threw the medals in the Liffy river in Dublin!!

Hopefully some one can help me

Yours

Joe

Joe,

I assume you have his MIC? Have you checked pension records on Ancestry? There are a lot of John Ryan's there.

John

He was discharged with a Silver War Badge and on the SWB roll you should see date of enlistment, date of discharge and reason for discharge. He served in France from 4/1/1915 but you would need to trace the locations of all his regiments from that date to verify that he remained in France until discharge. He would have been issued with 1914/15 Star, BWM and VM (and SWB). His MIC indicates he was possibly stripped of rank to Private for misconduct.

You will need the services of a good frogman to find his medals :D

I can post his MIC here if you don't already have it. Well worth a search through the pension records also.

Good luck

John

Hello John

Thank you for your help, I do not have his MIC, could you post please.

Once again

Many Thanks for your help.

Joe

Joe

I think that your man only served overseas with the RDF and RIR.

The 224 RIF service number indicates that he was an early joiner in one of the new service Battalions. I think that he could have been transferred to the RDF as an emergency inter regiment transfer and hence his date of entry of 4/1/15 with the 2nd Battalion RDF.

The RE number is intriguing - it appears to be too high as a TF number and the wrong sequence for the 1920 renumbering.

Regards

Mel

Joe

I have had a look at the surviving service papers in the RE 607*** series and they are all previously demobilised/discharged service men who re-enlisted between May and July 1919 for a one year period of service.

Regards

Mel

Joe,

SWB roll is in series WO 329/3009 - Silver War Badge: other ranks/Infantry (Cork) at TNA. If you cant visit you can order copies from

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...;accessmethod=5

£8.50 for 10 pages.

John

Sorry I meant to add that if you do order copies you will need to quote the original page number from the MIC - A/1300.

• 1 year later...

My Friend has come back to me for help in researching his grandfather John Ryan, Royal Dublin Fusiliers,we have details of his service records, but we are trying to find his address in Dublin,on enlistment, any suggestings?

Joe