Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Edward Kirk

Crazy_Moo129

I'm trying to find any info on Edward Kirk. he was 114104 of the Royal engineers, then 290773 of the Labour Corps. his medal card says he received the Silver War Badge (LC/2101) The Victory and the British medals (LC/101 B99 page 10003) and the 1915 Star (LC/108 C3 K/51/2)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about his military career? I have a few pages of Service records off of Ancestry.co.uk Giving his enlistment date as 24-8-1915 and discharged 22-7-1918 due to rheumatism?

Perhaps there may be something in war diaries? I don't know when he transferred, sorry.

Many Thanks!!

Joanne

Labour Corps experts will know a bit about him from that service number. Men went to the Labour Corps for a variety of reasons sometimes because of wounds or illness and also because of a particular skill. They did the work behind the lines to free fighting men for the front line. They performed a vast array of tasks from looking after POWs to building roads and were at times exposed to artillery. Many were wounded.

He was a Road Labourer and a Navvy by trade, so i assume he would have come in handy!

Joanne

His Labour Corps number suggests 702 Company - formed from the 3rd Labour Battalion R.E. in 1917.

I have more on the Company but am afriad I cannot come up with the information until next month because of work pressures

Ivor

Thanks Ivor! I'd like to know why he got the Silver War Badge... especially when he was discharged for having rheumatism!

Joanne

I did wonder that. He's the first man i've come accross who was older than 20! Being 45 must have been quite hard. Conditions back home weren't much better for him. the 1911 census has him and his "house keeper" living in 2 rooms. The first page of his service records has: "I am willing to alot from day of entitlement of my pay to support my housekeeper"

His "housekeeper" was already married but is down as next of kin as a Friend. once her husband croaked it, she married Edward Kirk in 1917 (i'm awaiting the certificate!

He much have liked her!

• 2 weeks later...

I received they certificate and the married on the 1st January 1917. He wasn't discharged until 22-7-1918 so they must have got married whilst he was on leave.