Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Secret Victory-Ireland and the War At Sea 1914-1918

tommy mcclimonds

Chaps

Just a bit of advance notice for those interested at all things maritime about the Great War. The book is about the largely forgotten history of Ireland's vital role in the First World War in what was essentially the "First Battle of the Atlantic."

A very welcome addition to the naval history of the Great War, especially as it comes from my side of the sheugh for a change. I understand the planned publication date is sometime in April. Cost £13.99 or Euro 19.99. If you want to read more see link below to Mercier Press.

http://www.mercierpress.ie/cartage.html?ma...t98mvvs29mquue1

Perhaps some kind pal with a keen Great War naval interest and more money than me will be able to provide a suitable review at some stage post publication.

Happy reading, regards, Tommy.

Very welcome indeed Tommy, thanks for letting us know. To date, all we had to rely on was Keble Chatterton's 'Danger Zone - The Story of the Queenstown [Cobh] Command,' published in 1934.

Regards, JPC

JPC

If you are interested in the naval aspect of the Great War you might want to have a look at "A Social and Economic History of Bere Island 1900-1920, by Siobhan Hawke, 2004. A paperback of only 80 pages but a mine of information on Bere Island, lots of B&W pics, (some poorly reproduced though) of the many gun emplacements and other places of military interest on the island, including battleships, an American submarine as well as pics of two local island men who were killed in WWI, but a great wee book none the less. Chapters on "Bere Island as a fortified army and naval base & Economic and social relationship between the British Army and the Islanders" as well as chapters on "education, population, occupations and domestic affairs." There are also two great pictures of the departure of the army and the handing over of Fort Berehaven to the Irish Army in 1938. Got my copy in A B O'Connor's bookshop in Kenmare last year, only 7 Euro.

Regards, Tommy.

Thanks again Tommy, I will have to take a trip out west and track down a copy of the book myself. I am amazed that it never reached the bookshops in Cork for if it had, I would have pounced on it immediately.

JPC

JPC

Glad to be of assistance, it's sometimes amazing what turns up occasionally in west cork.

Regards, Tommy.

JPC

Glad to be of assistance, it's sometimes amazing what turns up occasionally in west cork.

Regards, Tommy.

Yes, thats the joy of West Cork :) But don't forget East Cork, the museum in Cobh is planning a US Navy at Cobh in WWI exhibition, theres Roches Point Lighthouse, the former Fort Carlisle and the general views of the harbour as you drive around. JPC

• 1 year later...

I have been interested to read this thread. My grandfather, a maths teacher with an honours degree in mathematics from London University was posted to Bere Island as part of a Royal Engineers Signals Unit from 1914/15 to 1916. Does anyone know what part of the national archives deal with this unit and location during WW1 please?

I am planning to visit Bere Island in August while holidaying at Kenmare.

Many thanks,

Howard

• 11 months later...

JPC

If you are interested in the naval aspect of the Great War you might want to have a look at "A Social and Economic History of Bere Island 1900-1920, by Siobhan Hawke, 2004. A paperback of only 80 pages but a mine of information on Bere Island, lots of B&W pics, (some poorly reproduced though) of the many gun emplacements and other places of military interest on the island, including battleships, an American submarine as well as pics of two local island men who were killed in WWI, but a great wee book none the less. Chapters on "Bere Island as a fortified army and naval base & Economic and social relationship between the British Army and the Islanders" as well as chapters on "education, population, occupations and domestic affairs." There are also two great pictures of the departure of the army and the handing over of Fort Berehaven to the Irish Army in 1938. Got my copy in A B O'Connor's bookshop in Kenmare last year, only 7 Euro.

Regards, Tommy.

I visited Kenmare and Castletownbere last year and got my copy of this very interesting wee book from Siobhan Hawke''s tather, John Finbarr O'Sullivan, who is a co-owner of the bookshop that still sells the book. Contact is Gertie O'Sullivan. I am sure that Mrs Hawke must have a lot more information as well as knowledge of where further documents might be found.

The shop is "The Shell", Crafts & Books, Castletownbere, Beara, Co Cork, Ireland tel 027 70747. email gertie underscore beara 'at" yahoo dotcom

The local library also has a number of useful documents.

Best,

Howard

• 9 years later...

I've just received a huge pile of family photographs which include some of the unit my grandad was in at Bere Island. These may be of interest to others researching Bere Islands WW1 history. I always thought that my grandfather with an honours degree in Mathematics from London University and also a trained School Master would have enlisted for officer training but No, he joined as a private. He described his work there as maintaining the observatory and system for detecting U boats ( acurrent induced in a wire loop stretched across the southern entrance around Bere Island. As well as photos of his unit and some of their antics there  is a tongue in cheek picture of him outside a hut with his broom.IMG_20210227_0002-ed.jpg.13e4893a4e81d1dd2e78fd4b7f78cc6a.jpg

IMG_20210227_0001-2ed.jpg.e059282d4e52784a02b527550f9b6825.jpg

IMG_20210225_0002-ed2crpd.jpg.b0bb486453e363866e662a15fc97fa5a.jpg

IMG_20210303_0003-ed.jpg.0d12de5e399fb274ad67eb8d9ca60565.jpg

Hut Door Sign - Bere Island 1915-ed2.jpg