Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated London News

Stephenb

Stephen,

You will find a photo of 2/Lieut. ( A/Capt ) John Drysdale MC 4th Battalion Gordon Highlanders in the Royal High School (Edinburgh) Roll.

Joe

Hi Stephen,

Could you find Lt. Appleby kia 28.6.1916 attached to the 13th Royal Scots from the 2nd Bt.

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the info,unfortunately I already have that one,I was hoping for any others that are out there.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Hi Stephen,

Could you find Lt. Appleby kia 28.6.1916 attached to the 13th Royal Scots from the 2nd Bt.

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim,

nothing on Lt. Appleby I'm afraid. However, he's in the "Reading Standard Pictorial Record" if that helps:-

1st Battalion,Appleby,R C A,Lieut,Norton Road,Wokingham,Berkshire,England

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm looking for any info/pics of Capt William Norman Watson M.C. RAMC attatched 6th KOSB,died of wounds 29/5/1916.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Stu,

had a look and unfortunately can't see an entry for him.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen

Will you please have a look for the following when you can.

Capt. Gerald Sidney Lewis 11th Bn Middlesex Regiment -7th July 1916

2/Lt Evan Morris 5th Bn. Prince of Wales( North Staffordshire Regiment )- 8th October 1918

Regards Myrtle

Myrtle,

couldn't see either I'm afraid.

Regards,

Steve

Hello Stephen,

Please could you look up the following officer,

2nd Lieut. Sturton Johnson Faris

killed 30/7/16

17th att. 20th Kings Liverpool Reg.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

couldn't see him. Any detail on school attended?

Steve

Steve

this is a very kind offer, and I see a lot of people have taken you up on it already. If its not too much trouble, please could you look for:

CAPERN, HENRY JAMES (HAL)

2 Lt, 11th btn, KRRC,

"attd 59th T.M. bty" (I don't know what this means)

died 22 March 1918, aged 23

He was my grandmother's cousin. She lost an uncle and 5 cousins, but Hal was the only one who was an officer. He was an only child and I have no idea what happened to his photos, medals etc after his parents died. It would be lovely to see a photo of him.

thank you, Pat

Pat,

couldn't see him. Could be in the Sphere, so I'll keep an eye out for him in any April/May 1918 editions I come across.

Regards,

Steve

Re:

2/Lt Evan Morris 5th Bn. Prince of Wales( North Staffordshire Regiment )- 8th October 1918

Steve

Thanks for looking.

Regards Myrtle

Re:

Steve

Thanks for looking.

Regards Myrtle

BTW I've got the Middlesex Regiment official history 1914-18, Captain Lewis is mentioned in Vol.1, p271

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve

Could you check for Capt Wilfrid H Hensley, 6th Bn Somerset Light Infantry. Missing in action 21 March 1918.

Many thanks

Clare

BTW I've got the Middlesex Regiment official history 1914-18, Captain Lewis is mentioned in Vol.1, p271

Steve,

Would you please let me know what it says about Captain Lewis on page 271 ?

He is the only man who served with the Middlesex Regiment and is commemorated on the Rhayader Memorial.

Regards

Myrtle

Hi Steve

Could you check for Capt Wilfrid H Hensley, 6th Bn Somerset Light Infantry. Missing in action 21 March 1918.

Many thanks

Clare

Clare,

Re. Capt. Wilfred Henry Hensley 6th (Service) Bn. S.L.I.

no luck in finding a photo in the Illustrated London News. This is not uncommon with Spring Offensive casualties as there were so many in a short period of time. I have an obituary reference in De Ruvigny's which I can transcribe here if you want.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

Would you please let me know what it says about Captain Lewis on page 271 ?

He is the only man who served with the Middlesex Regiment and is commemorated on the Rhayader Memorial.

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle,

here are the details as requested:

From "THE DIE-HARDS IN THE GREAT WAR" By Everard Wyrall 1926 (Volume One)

Regards,

Steve

post-14-1081539500.jpg

Steve

thank you very much anyway. You have taken on a big job here!

Pat

Steve,

Could you check the following officer for me:

2nd.Lt. Noel C. Blakeway, killed 27/03/16, 3rd Bn Dorsetshire Regiment (att. to 1st Bn.)

Many thanks,

Walter

Steve,

2nd.Lt. Noel C. Blakeway, killed 27/03/16, 3rd Bn Dorsetshire Regiment (att. to 1st Bn.)

Many thanks,

Walter

Walter,

nothing listed for Lieut. Blakeway I'm afraid.

Regards, Steve

Steve

Thanks for checking for Capt Wilf Hensley in Illustarted London News. I have a very faded photo, so I'll have to do a bit of work on it. I would like a transcription of the obituary please.

Regards

Clare :D

Steve,

Many thanks,

Walter

Walter,

Regards, Steve

Steve,

For 6 months there was still some doubts if Lieut. Blakeway had died of his wounds or had been taken prisoner of war by the Germans.

His death was officially confirmed to his family in september/october 1916.

Could this make a difference? :unsure:

Again many thanks,

Walter

Steve,

Many thanks,

Walter

Walter,

Regards, Steve

Steve,

For 6 months there was still some doubts if Lieut. Blakeway had died of his wounds or had been taken prisoner of war by the Germans.

His death was officially confirmed to his family in september/october 1916.

Could this make a difference? :unsure:

Again many thanks,

Walter

Walter,

thanks for the additional information. In short, this would make a great difference. I used to own a medal group to a Captain P.C.Taylor 1/2nd Londons KIA at Combles on the 15/9/16. His death wasn't officially accepted until June 1917. Once I gleaned this fact from his officer's papers I then found a Roll of Honour entry for him in July 1917.

Regards,

Steve

Steve

Thanks for checking for Capt Wilf Hensley in Illustarted London News. I have a very faded photo, so I'll have to do a bit of work on it. I would like a transcription of the obituary please.

Regards

Clare :D

Clare,

please see the scan of the obituary below. Source -> de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour, Volume II, Part IV, p81.

He attended Dean Close School so there's a chance they have a Roll of Honour with a photograph. Here's the website link -> http://www.deanclose.co.uk/

Now you have the school information you could try a post to the "British school registers and rolls of honor" topic in this section of the forum.

Regards,

Steve

post-28-1081708065.jpg