The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Auteuil and Amplieu

Roger H

I am researching the movements of 311th Brigade RFA. In his book, War Services 62nd West Riding Divisional Artillery, Colonel A.T.Anderson reports that on 23rd January 1917 the Divisional Artillery (to whom 311th Brigade were attached at the time) "marched to Auteuil and Amplieu, and remained in billets...."

Previously they were in Wavans (having just arrived in France), and I have had no trouble in locating that village. However, for the life of me, I can't track down Auteuil or Amplieu. :angry:

Can any pal help?

Expedia maps show an Auteuil about 5km south of Beauvais.

I can find Amplier just SW of Doullens. That would be on a route from the ports to the front.

I have found that the spelling of place name can quite often be phonetic or Anglicised. I am still looking for Noyon or Nagur or Noyur near Mons.

I hope this helps

Bob

There is another Auteuil in the fashionable 16th arrondissement of Paris. It is the location for France's most famous steeplechase course.

jeremym

(Jeremy Mitchell)

Bob

Thanks for this. "Amplier" just SW of Doullens makes sense because Wavans (where the Brigade were previously) is 14 km NW of Doullens.

Roger

Later edit:

Sorted! It is definitely "Amplier", and "Auteuil" is actually "Authieule", which is a village between Amplier and Doullens.