Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kinmel Riots

geraint

The other side of the door. There is graffiti on it middle of top diagonal brace and on the right hand upright very hard to see but its there. Cheers Rob.

post-56-1236738771.jpg

• 1 month later...

Geraint,

The hut from The Grange at Rhewl caused quite a stir some years ago.

Certainly press photo's spring, vaguely, to mind possibly Daily Post probably Free Press.

Will test Hughes the News's recall to see what I can get.

I live just up the road from you. Remember Uncle Tommy 14th RWF , I've had some promising results, must call to see you I heard you were in France.

Regards Jules

A postcard from the riots. The caption on the back reads, "Brigadier offering terms".

tn_kinmelpc.jpg

tn_kinmelpc2.jpg

tn_kinmelpc3.jpg

It would be interesting to know what proportion of those involved were front-line veterans and what proportion was conscripts who had not served in France. (Canada finally introduced conscription in late 1917 and the first of these men showed up in England/France in 1918.)

The coverage was so spiteful and misleading, that it seems to have reflected that under-current of resentment against the Canadians that was always floating around, and was extended to other "colonial" forces at times as well.

"The mutineers were our own men, stuck in the mud of North Wales, waiting impatiently to get back to Canada - four months after the end of the war. The 15,000 Canadian troops that concentrated at Kinmel didn't know about the strikes that held up the fueling ships and which had caused food shortages. The men were on half rations, there was no coal for the stove in the cold grey huts, and they hadn't been paid for over a month. Forty-two had slept in a hut meant for thirty, so they each took turns sleeping on the floor, with one blanket each."

Noel Barbour, Gallant Protesters (1975)

No coal in Wales, that's quite an achievement before Arthur Scargill! :lol:

Interesting point 2nd CMR

I've no idea as to the identity and status of the troops. To be honest, I think that the transit records held were temporary, and doubt very much as to whether a they still exist. The descriptions of life in the camp provided by you is reflected in similar stories in the local press here at the time. They were undoubtedly shoddily treated.

Though the nearest coal mines were only 20 miles away, Army Command still made it impossible for them to adequately heat the huts.

Jules

Yes. We must continue!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

He was Sapper William Tarasavitch, of the Canadian Railway Troops; his surname appears mis-spelt on numerous occasions.

The name ending "-vitch" does not exist in Russian, so, in Russian, his name would have been Tarasavich. If, in transliterating it into English, he chose to insert an extra "t", he was, wittingly or unwittingly, inviting the confusion that has inevitably arisen.

Excellent contributions by Vico, and thanks to Magnumbellum for the explanation.

Incredible that no deaths nor injuries were recorded by the camp's diary! Note also that the camp started to empty immediately as troops were sent to Liverpool for shipping back home. This was the main thrust of their complaints - that shipping was not provided.

The Kinmel Park Camp Riots 1919 by Julian Putkowski online here

Thanks for this.

Peter in British Columbia

• 2 weeks later...

The name ending "-vitch" does not exist in Russian, so, in Russian, his name would have been Tarasavich. If, in transliterating it into English, he chose to insert an extra "t", he was, wittingly or unwittingly, inviting the confusion that has inevitably arisen.

Actually, I don't think a Russian would have had a name ending -avich - at least in the patronymic form. It would have been either -ovich or -evich.

The extra t inserted in transliteration is simply to indicate that the ch sound is hard, as in child, and not soft, as in French chien. We in the West tend to add a T to Chaikovski name for the same reason.

Ron

• 3 years later...

Bumping this thread up - Idris Evans refered to in various posts as the supplier of the Kinmel door has now retired and has finally closed the Steptoe

business. a big loss to all Great War enthusiasts in this neck of the woods.

The Trefnant Memorial building (including the Kinmel hut) has been given a very thorough renovation and will probably stand for another hundred years.

The StAsaph huts is now a Co-op store.

I feel a need to go look again at Kinmel! Will report back here!