The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Canadian soldier picture help please

Max (UK)

Hi Folks

This photo was in one of my Family albums. Nothing is on the back of it to indicate who he is, so I am trying to work out who he is. His surname will be Nesbitt. I know he would have been a Canadian, so I went to list the Canadian service records and got over 100 Nesbitt's.

Can anyone identify anything from his uniform, that might help me narrow down the list, please? I don't know what regiment it is with this maple leaf badge. Also what about his trousers and boots - is he a rider of some kind? I haven't a clue.

post-8074-1236038169.jpg

Please help if you can

Thanks

Max.

The maple leaf is standard Canadian. Is there a number on the bages when you scan at high res?

He is a driver in the horse transport section. A clasp knife in his pocket will be attached to the lanyard.

Was he a casualty?

I'm not sure that that maple leaf is the GS variety. I think it is a battalion. So eliminate all Gunners and Sappers, and I would for now eliminate all numbers with seven digits, as I think this is an early battalion.

Thanks so much, Michael and Kinnethmont.

I don't know if he was a casualty, my research into this family has just started......having said that, I can't see him in any other pics in the album.

I will try and get a larger scan of the badge.

Thanks again, really appreciate the help ! :rolleyes:

We may be looking at either the 18th, 36th, or 52nd battalions. the 36th did not see front line service, though. And upon further searching I'm not seeing any Nesbitts with these units.

If there's nothing on the back of the card to indicate who he is, how can we know 100% that he is a Nesbitt and not another family member with a different name or perhaps even a good friend of the family?

Hi Ken

Wow thanks very much for trying, I'm really grateful to you.

I shall try and work out what other surnames he could have.

Thanks again

Max.