Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3/10 Middlesex

Ian C

Hi

Does anyone know what this regiment were doing during this period? I know they went to France June 17 & were disbanded Feb 18, accordin to SDITGW they only lost about 140 other ranks during this period, were they just lucky(!!!) or were they not in the front line?

Regards

IanC

Hi Ian,

Just looking on the long trial for you and the dates don´t quite coincide with what you quote

3/10th Battalion

Formed in May 1915 and moved, after a period in Kent, to Bourne Park.

1 June 1917 : landed at Le Havre and attached to South African Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.

2 August 1917 : transferred to 10th Brigade in 4th Division.

20 February 1918 : disbanded in France.

cheers

jim

Hi Jim

I saw the entry on the LLT and rather than quote exactly gave the relevant months, justed wanted to know if anyone could fill in any details.

Chers

IanC

Hi Ian,

I have just had a quick look at “The Die-Hards in the Great War” and it seems that the 3/10th Middlesex took part in “The Battle of Broodseinde” on the 4th October 1917. The rest of the time was spent on training and trench duties during their eight months in France & Flanders.

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the pointer, looking at SDITGW again they lost 86 men on 4/10 with another 7 DOW on the 5/10, all their others losses were 1 or 2 a day apart from 30/09 when they lost 9 and 22/12 when they lost 3, I guess that these could have been from shell fire while digging trenches etc.

Regards

Ianc

Ian

3/10 Middlesex (10 Brigade of 4 Division) was at the northern end of the Battle,slightly to the NW of Poelcapelle at the start line,with 29 Div to their left and 11 Div to their immediate right. The line there at the end of the first day showed advancement to the eastern side of Poelcapelle.

Sotonmate