Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any help please? Sidney Fairchild possible WW1 major?

Soren

Hi Pal's

It would be appreciated if the Pal's could help me with this one, can anyone iD the regiment for me, the picture quality is as good as it gets.

His name was Sidney Fairchild a possible major who married a Grace Samuel they had no children, we think he hailed from Mitcham and in later life lived in Canvey Island.

Also any idea of where this might be I suspect India, however it could be anywhere!

It would be great if some whizz out there could check for any possible records from the burnt documents, or more likely the MIC would be fantastic, providing there was only one Sidney Fairchild in the unknown regiment!

Many thanks in advance

post-4474-1236021473.jpg

I would say you're looking at a gentleman here who's serving in the Indian Army but whether regular, State or Auxiliary Forces I just couldn't say. Hopefully someone better aquainted with the Indian Army may help here.

Sorry Sorren - well out of my depth with the Indian Army. However you could try the 'Gentlemans Military Interest Club' as there's a strong Indian Army contingent there. Don't be too surprised if you're asked for a copy of the photo either as one of the GMIC members is producing a new book on the Wolsley Helmet and they're looking for good illustrations such as this for it.

• 3 months later...

Would anyone be able to carry out a census check on this gentleman for me, he hailed from Mitchum by all accounts.

I would really appreciate this

Soren

This address may or may not be of assistance:

18 The Close

Mitcham Park

Surrey

Once again any thanks for any assistance whatsoever

Soren

I see someone on the GMIC Forum has suggested "one of the Malayan police forces between the wars".

On 28 September 1923, Mr S.A.FAIRCHILD, Police Inspector, age 22, sailed from London to Singapore aboard the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co. ship DEVANHA under Captain K.JENKINS (the ship's final destination was Yokohama). His last address in the UK was 36 Blandsfield St, but it doesn't say which town/city! Under Country of Intended Future Permanent Residence is "F.M.S.", which I assume is Federated Malay States.

The most likely birth match is that of Sydney Arthur FAIRCHILD, born Kensington district Q3 1901.

Also the 1964 phone book for Cambridge/Colchester/Norwich/Southend shows an S.A. Fairchild living at 62 Urmond Rd, Canvey Island.

Do you know when your man died, Soren? His death registration should give his age and possibly his actual DoB.

EDIT: Found him. Sidney A FAIRCHILD, age 62, died in Southend district Q4 1963. That explains why there are no phone book entries after 1964.

Adrian

EDIT: If he is the 10yo Sydney Anthon [sic] FAIRCHILD in Kensington in 1911 (assuming a transcription error), then his parents were Samuel George and Susan (nee SPICER), and his siblings George James Edward Wilkinson (18), Lilian Maude Louise (16), John Henry (12) and Edith Alice (8).

George J.E.W. FAIRCHILD died in Croydon district (covers Mitcham) in Q2 1925 aged 33.

Couple more snippets:

London Gazette 35513 (3 April 1942)

PIONEER CORPS.

The undermentioned Cadets to be 2nd Lts. 30th Mar. 1942:-

... Sidney Arthur FAIRCHILD (229426) ...

Supplement to London Gazette Issue 38688, 12 August 1949

The following Officers are awarded the 1st Clasp to the Efficiency Medal (Territorial): -

ROYAL PIONEER CORPS.

Lt. S. A. FAIRCHILD (229426).

and in the same issue:

The following Officers are awarded the Efficiency Medal (Territorial): -

ROYAL PIONEER CORPS.

Lt. S. A. FAIRCHILD (229426).

Nothing about him making Major, though.

Adrian