Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A.D.C. - Temp. Capt. A.D. Womersley

archangel9

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what exactly this means? From the Gazatte of April 24th 1917 -

"The undermentioned temp. appt. is made:-

A.D.C. - Temp. Capt. A.D. Womersley, Essex R., and to be transfd to Gen. List. 7th Feb. 1917."

Womersley was serving with the 10th Bn. Essex Regiment from August 1914.

Cheers

John

John

Aide de Camp,Temporary Captain (maybe upgraded in the Field) who I take to have been put on the General List as an aide to a higher ranking Staff Officer. Someone here might know better !

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Cheers. I'm just wondering what rank an officer would have to be to warrant an aide? I'm going to check the war diary to see if this is mentioned and perhaps who he was appointed aide to. Any other suggestions about how I might find out?

John

John

Maybe his service file will show this ? WO339/73525 is the only one (of 5) with his name and the single initial A. If he served beyond the War then I assume that his file won't be at Kew,so you might have to look elsewhere,maybe the LG for any later refs ?

I would be guessing when I say an ADC may have been appointed to Brigadier and above ? That might induce a correct answer from our sages if it is not right !

Sotonmate

John

Maybe his service file will show this ? WO339/73525 is the only one (of 5) with his name and the single initial A. If he served beyond the War then I assume that his file won't be at Kew,so you might have to look elsewhere,maybe the LG for any later refs ?

I would be guessing when I say an ADC may have been appointed to Brigadier and above ? That might induce a correct answer from our sages if it is not right !

Sotonmate

Cheers Sotonmate. I have looked (from a distance!!) at WO339/73525 on several occasions and wondered if this is the same man. I am tempted to go ahead and order copies from TNA as I won't be getting to Kew any time soon!!

John

WO339/73525 contains the service record of Albert Edward Womersley and not Aleck Dale as I had hoped.

Albert Edward Womersley, 2nd Lt. East Lancashire Regt. Updating the post just in case anyone is or will be researching Albert Edward Womersley.

John